Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Was there a special teacher in your life?    

Was there a special teacher in your life?

edrodmedina
United States

Was there a special teacher in your life?

Thanks to Mariethe, Almaz, Sean, Pilar, Epit, Valentina, Silvia, Mallerenga and Abba for sharing their anecdotes about their favorite teacher(s). Mar I can only imagine how frustrating your situation must be. If anyone else would like to share with us something about a favorite teacher please feel free do so here.

25 Jul 2011      

Larisa.
Russian Federation

I read your stories yesterday, some of them are funny, some are sad. I liked them a lot.  
Well, here is a story about  my favourite teacher. She was my primary school teacher. Her name is Maria Maximovna. (We call teachers in Russia by their first name and their father �s name, not Mrs or Mr. )
Maria Maximovna was about 50, when I started school.  She was not very tall and she was a really strict teacher, but she never shouted at us. She could just glance at me and I understood what was wrong. And she had wonderful kind and smiling eyes. And she always said to us and our parents �The boys and girls in our class are the most beautiful kids in the whole school �. And we felt she loved us even when she was not happy with us.

And still when I come across her in the street I always stop and talk to her. She remembers everything about me, my parents and my brother and she always asks how they are and her eyes are still kind and smiling. And she is about 80 now.

Please, share your stories about your favourite teachers.

Have a nice day,
Larisa

25 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

Okay, here �s one:

I was lucky enough to grow-up in a school system in California that was open to trying new ideas and was located in one of the most desirable places to live on Earth.  The seventies were a good time to be in school if you had the right system--we did (mostly).  The biggest part of my school years I was in one type of experimental class or another that was being taught be highly motivated free-thinkers and they shared that with me.

I had some great teachers, from the "cool", long-haired guy that taught me photography and later left the school system to open an ice cream shop, to the beautiful young lady that wore very small mini skirts but succeeded in teaching us math despite our being google-eyed over her, to the old beatnik art teacher that was rumored to be constantly drinking wine out of his self-made ceramic coffee mugs-they were all good at what they did and gave a damn about teaching us.

But the teacher I think that most touched me was actually 2 teachers.  My high school English department was a dream--what a team.  Two of those teachers were complete opposites, but balanced each other perfectly.  Mr Perez was a long-haired, vegetarian, hippy that lived without electricity and definitly HAD to have experimented with lots of drugs in his days playing in a band.  Mrs Hirons, was an old, strict, by-the-book teacher that lived on a farm--I remember once describing her during one of her English lessons as a "droll, dogmatic teacher that..."(I got an A on the paper).  Mr Perez opened our minds and made us see EVERYTHING from a diffferent light, while Mrs Hirons REALLY taught us how to write--later when I was teaching English to native speakers I often found myself using her lessons and methods.

At least one of my classmates is now a fairly-well published author and I talked to her about it last year at our 30th class reunion and the names Perez and Hirons were some of the first words out of her mouth.  There are a bunch more teachers that made a difference--I was one of the lucky ones--I was surrounded by "unique" people that taught because they "had the calling" vs "for the money".

The other woman that really changed my life was Janey Chapmann (Dr. Chapman), my Psych Professor in college.  

25 Jul 2011     

htunde
Hungary

When I read about this topic of Ed�s the first time, yesterday, I thought of a really special teacher who was a math teacher in the elementary school I attended soooo many years ago. She wasn�t young even then, not good looking and for a woman she was very large especially for us, children under 14. She had an enormous amount of long fair hair and wore it in a large bun on the top of her head making her still taller. She was very strict as is usually the case with Maths teachers. But you see she could do wonders with us though Maths wasn�t a favourite with many of the kids. Actually I loved Mathematics since then and I was good at it and Ms Demes- for she was a spinster (completely lacking any bad associations of the word!!)- was responsible for the fact that many of us became engineers. She could extract the square-root of any number in her head and have marvellously simple solutions for some complicated looking problems. She is around 90, but whenever I visit my hometown and meet her (usually on the bus, my Dad and she live in the same district) she still recognises me, knows my name and asks about the others in the class.

While I am writing this and remember many of my former teachers and I think that I was very lucky, because I could write similarly memorable things and touching stories about some other teachers I had. I can just hope that once I would follow in their footsteps.

25 Jul 2011