Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Tattoos and teaching    

Tattoos and teaching

almaz
United Kingdom

Tattoos and teaching

I �ve just read this from the most recent TES Connect newsletter. Does your school have a policy on teachers � tattoos?

I have an old one on my left arm. It �s a relic from my hippie-dippie youth; it �s part of me, my personal history; I �m not ashamed of it and yet I always kept it covered when teaching teenagers in mainstream secondary - partly because of the possible drug-culture associations and partly because of the unholy box of perceived sins that might be opened (only sailors, whores and gangsters wore tats).

So, flaunting your �individuality � or flouting school rules?

25 Jul 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I have no tattoos and I think I �m quite an individual without them:) 
BTW haven�t heard of a school policy on tattoos whatsoever. Maybe bc they are not as common yet among the generation of people who are teachers now. I just can�t imagine someone who�s keen on tattoos wanting to be a teacher at school... 
Sophia 

25 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

One of the young female teachers at my village school has a tatoo in her back which apparently shows when summer comes and she is wearing  short T shirts . A friend of mine �s little girl noticed it and was quite admirative of it !On the other hand, that teacher  has a reputation of being a very good teacher . So, tatoo or not  tatoo ,what counts is doing your job properly, isn �t it? Big smile
So no regulations on tatoos in  French schools, but flaunting your religion, whether teacher or student is strictly forbidden.

25 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well I have one on my left arm which they used to make me cover up when I started working there. No longer though, thanks to all the young �uns in Spain cramming tats into every spare inch of skin. I am ex forces and it was "the thing to do." I don �t regret it though. Both my father and grandfather had them. So do most of my relatives. I was refused a job at Disney Paris because of my tats, though. As far as I know they are still somewhere in the dark ages. It �s about time some of these schools grew up! Whatever people �s views on tattoos, they are going to go away. People will always have them and they do no harm whatsoever.

25 Jul 2011     

johnbrasil
Brazil

I have 18 of them and here in Brasil I have never had a problem with them and have taught classes from all levels and ages including diplomats from the Japapese Embassy here in our city. A lot of my students, men, women, girls have them. I got invited to visit English classes in the public schools many times here and no one cared about the tattoos, I think Brasilians are very accepting of these things. The city I live in has people from all walks of life, its one of the reasons we moved here :-D

26 Jul 2011     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

I�ve been a teacher for several years now and I do have a tattoo.  I�m not ashamed of it and I don�t try to hide it. It�s something personal that has to do with my nickname. It�s on my ankle so sometimes students do see it and they don�t find it weird at all. Why should they? The same happens with my colleagues; the closest ones don�t call by my name, but by my nickname and that�s exactly what my tattoo stands for. Here in Portugal there are no regulations on tattoos in schools. Well, I guess we are quite open-minded people!

Hugs from Portugal,

Cristina

26 Jul 2011     

Fernando Damour
Indonesia

In my school, we are expected to be a role model for students, there is a rule that we can �t have tattoo shown in our body like arms or neck..but it is still ok if the tattoos are hidden. I my self don �t have tattoos.. I just love to see it..:)

Regards
Fernando ( high scope Indonesia )

26 Jul 2011     

psd4fan
China

We have to cover em up at my school but if the topic comes up I �ll show my three that are on my upper arms and the kids usually like them and think I am cool. Cool

26 Jul 2011     

Errie
Japan

I have tattoos and I always tell that to my students and their parents when they visit my school. 99% is cool with it and find it no problem at all.

28 Jul 2011