Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Evaluating the students    

Evaluating the students

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Evaluating the students

Dear friends, Embarrassed

Please, I do need your help here!

Do you evaluate your students when they are reading aloud LOL a text?
If you do so which criteria do you use to grade them? What aspects do you think it is important to take in consideration when evaluating your sts?
I need to make a list with some criteria to grade my pupils.

Thank you very much for your help.
kisses from Brazil
Thalia

28 Jul 2011      

mariafrompadua
Argentina

Criteria IS a plural. Criterion is the singular. Latin plurals and singulars have different rules from the English ones.

28 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

You can  make your own criteria for each individual student or for the entire class.  Maybe you are looking at  fluency, or decoding of certain sounds. Keep a running record with a check off list with an area for comments.

28 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Last year was the first time I graded reading, at first it was hard for my ss, but once they got the hang of it, they improved so much!
I graded fluency as well as mistakes. For fluency, I gave a total of 2 points, therefore, I made a chart with ranges, like: 2 pts - excellent, 1.5-good, 1 pt - needs to improve. For mistakes, I also gave 2 pts, and the ranges were: from 1-10 mistakes - 2 pts, from 11 - 20 - 1.5, from 21 - 30 - 1 pt.

Obviously, the texts they read, we had already read in class where mistakes had been corrected, I read the text to them several times, so they checked the fluency, etc.
And also, they did not read a whole text, or a whole page, only a paragraph so as not to make it too difficult for them.

In one bimester, they had to gather 5 grades, which meant they had to read 5 times. Sometimes I gave reading time during class, but not always, so they had to take upon themselves to come to me and read, whenever they wanted, or had a free period, etc. It only took them less than 5 minutes, so this really was no problem.

This activity helped me alot, because before that, when they read, they didn �t put too much interest or attention, since they knew it wouldn �t affect their overall grade. It also helped to create a reading habit, since unfortunately ss here do not like to read! Their reading skills improved so much it made me happy. At the end of the school year, I gave some diplomas for the best reader, this motivated them very much!

But I agree that you have to use your own criteria for this, you are the one who knows your students, your class, your needs. I used this strategy, because I have the students who are more advanced, therefore I know they have the knowledge and ability to do so.

Have a nice day!!!

Mar

28 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Thalia,

I don �t have much time to give a full answer.
Here is the assessment procedure for a TOEIC exam, (Test of English for International Communication).

The TOEIC Speaking Test Format

• Content: 11 questions
  • Time: approximately 20 minutes
  • Score scale: 0 � 200

The test is designed to provide information about language ability of speakers across a range of English proficiency.

The table below shows how tasks are organized:

Questions
Task
Evaluation Criteria
1 � 2Read a text aloud
  • Pronunciation
  • Intonation and stress
3Describe a pictureAll of the above, plus
  • Grammar
  • Vocabulary
  • Cohesion
4 � 6Respond to questionsAll of the above, plus
  • Relevance of content
  • Completeness of content
7 � 9Respond to questions using information providedAll of the above
10Propose a solutionAll of the above
11Express an opinionAll of the above

Others may give more detailed help.

Les

28 Jul 2011     

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Dear friends,

Thank you very much for your help. It �s very kind of you helping me promptly.

Kisses,
Thalia

28 Jul 2011     

misseleonora
Argentina

I always pay attention to reading comprehension after they finish reading. Sometimes they sound accurate and fluent but when you ask them what the text meant they have no idea. Understand at the same time they read is important for me when I am assessing.

MissE.

29 Jul 2011