Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > PEACHY - disambiguation    

PEACHY - disambiguation

ueslteacher
Ukraine

PEACHY - disambiguation

Dear native-speaking friends:)
Could you please help me out with the word peachy? I know what it means, but I �d like to know in what parts of the English-speaking world it �s common, and where one would sound goofy if they used this word.
Looking forward to your replies:)
Sophia

2 Aug 2011      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Sophia

It�s known downunder but it�s not terribly common. I�d say it �s more common in UK but maybe the UK NSs can confirm.

If you check our trustry friend here you�ll see that it�s not a red word so therefore not common from their perspective.  They also say it�s US.

You wouldn�t sound goofy if you said it here but you might get a quizzical look from the person you are talking to.

Cheers

Jayho

2 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Not too common but when I here "peachy" it is usually dripping with sarcasm.
 "How are you feeling?" asked the cop."Oh, I �m just peachy, " answered  the man who �d just been mugged.

2 Aug 2011     

douglas
United States

I would say Peachy is a very old term (like "cool daddy-o", but older), so if we use it we are using it being very aware of its out-of-datedness (perhaps trying to sound clean-cut fifties--Richie Cunningham or something like that).  Ed�s right about the sarcasm thing.

Douglas

2 Aug 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Real peachy....really 1950 �s era, I would say. you wouldn �t sound goofy just very old-fashioned.
Cheers Joy

2 Aug 2011     

douglas
United States

Some interesting definitions from the web:

When eaten, some kinds of peaches produce a natural high by interfering with the lipotin receptors in the brain. Since these kinds of peaches were not outlawed until the 1940�s, they were commonly sold as a drug. When high off of them, people would often say that they were feeling "Peachy".

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_the_phrase_ �Just_peachy �#ixzz1Tr4PY633

2 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you ever so much, guys:)
I heard the word in a couple of movies and I got the sarcasm thing, so I was just curious how it �s used in everyday life. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I didn �t know the word was from the 50s... This is one of the greatest advantages of the forum here that one can get feed back from native-speaking educators from different parts of the English- speaking world, don �t you think it �s awesome?;)
Sophia

2 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I �m glad  you �ve been disambiguated. Wink Ed

2 Aug 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Jayho just taught me this expression and I use it immediately, ueslteacher: " it �s a ripper of a site!
Ciao.
Mariannina

2 Aug 2011