Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

edrodmedina
United States

WOD

Boy you know you visit this site too much when you confuse what game you �ve played or worse which one you �ve just been told you �ve won. I posted for the wrong game luckily I caught it in thyme(I hope). Here is a word that I like the sound of: SKEDADDLE  Lets here sum grate daffynitions. Remember no dictionary definitions. Put that grate big brane of yours to use!! Remember if don �t use it, you loose it! Good luck everyone. ( I think my spel chequer is nut working probably)Ed

3 Aug 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Ed,

I know that when you �talk the hind leg off a donkey�, you are �rushed off your feet�, but I shall be surprised if you haven�t �trodden on someone�s toes� with your latest �clumsy feat�.

Someone will say that you �have feet of clay!�  �My foot!�

�Don�t be weak-kneed�.  You must �shake a leg� and �think on your feet�.  You have to �be on your toes�,  and be �quick on your feet� if you don�t want to be �nailed� and asked to �foot the bill� for damage to the ESLP site.  �Put your foot down��Dig your heels in�Otherwise, you �won�t have a leg to stand on�.  I�m not �pulling your leg!�

If I were you, I would �put my best foot forward� and �leg it�, before someone �cuts you off at the ankles�.   You�ve certainly �put your foot in it�, this time!  In future, �toe the line� and �don�t put a foot wrong�.  This is your �sole� defence.

Les

3 Aug 2011     

kinho
Brazil

Wow!!! I think i don�t know anything of English!!!!

3 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

USA Immigration reform. The Skedaddle Laws. 

3 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Ed,

SKEDADDLE.

If a Member lives in one of the �Scandinavian� countries, (�Scan-di-navi-an�), that Member will know that he or she is �an� inhabitant of an interesting land.

There, it becomes necessary to �scan� the horizon, for there are vast areas of wide open spaces, where a person can easily become lost.

Because of the many islands, the country is �di�-vided into two parts --- land and sea.

Consequently, the �navi� (�navy�) and water play an important role in the life of the citizen.

Thus, we have the origins of this ancient word, Scandinavian, a Norse word originating in the Nordic language, spoken by the North Germanic tribe of Norsemen.

For a while, the South Germanic tribes were called Horsemen, to distinguish the two.  They spoke Horse and, obviously, they travelled everywhere by horse.

But there were so many jokes --- �I have a sore throat, I�m a little hoarse�; �A Norse!  A Norse!  My kingdom for a Norse!� and �What�s the favourite TV show of a horse?�  �Neigh-bours!� --- that the Horsemen changed the word �horse� to �Pferd�, and called themselves �German�, (because �Pferdan� was too difficult for English people to pronounce).

But, you ask yourself, why take a breath between syllables? �Scan-di-navi-an�.

Why?

The glottal stop!

In Scandinavia, the air is so cold that it literally �takes your breath away!� and you must pause between syllables.

The word �skedaddle� is of Scandinavian origin.  Think of the names of the two most famous Scandinavian foods --- �Skagerrak� and �Kattegat� --- the resemblance is obvious.

The word �ski�, (pronounced �skee�), is the world-famous method of sliding over ice or snow.  But what does �daddle� mean?

If the Scandinavian is ski-ing over a glacier, and there is a sudden, flash, heat-wave, which instantly turns the ice to water, he must �daddle�! (to use the Nordic word).

He must use his skis and paddle over the water as fast as possible, to escape the flooding river.  He must �skedaddle�.

And so must I.

Les

3 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Ed: I think Les is totally crazy! Can you do something about it?LOL
 les: soooooo funny and clever! I love the " my kingdom for a Norse" neiiiiiiiiiigh.
Thank you.Smile

3 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

Sounds like a Ska hootennay.

3 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@Mariethe...I don �t believe Les knows what a straight line is.LOL

3 Aug 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Les it is a real pleasure to "read you", it �s pure joy!
I agree with Marieth� and I thank God that you are totally crazy!
Ciao.
Granny

3 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Marieth�,
Merci beaucoup pour vos compliments, Madame!

Mariannina,
Molte grazie per i vostri complimenti, Nonna!

Ed, "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line".
THAT is why three-quarters of the population of the USA find Fractions difficult, and the other half find them virtually impossible!

(I also teach Mathematics!)

Les

3 Aug 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Les, I must admit I �m part of the half that find Maths virtually, totally, absolutely impossible! I thank God for the invention of calculators! LOL

And after your hilarious daffynitions, I don �t think any of us have a chance! Your clever wit, outwits anyone �s!!! Clap

Hugs!!!

Mar

3 Aug 2011     

1    2    Next >