Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A Forum Question / Suggestion    

A Forum Question / Suggestion

Anna P
Brazil

Thumbs UpI agree with you, Linda.  Discussing current events with people from different backgrounds is a way of increasing our understanding about what is going on in the world.  Silvia has a good point but, if we stay away from delicate issues, I think that your idea will make the Forum more lively.
I remember reading posts complaining about WOD and the caption contest and yet, they are incredibly interesting, increasing our vocabulary and creativity.
Sorry, I �m about to post a boring "how do you say it? � thread Wink.

12 Aug 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

A variation of a game I play with some students: how about combining typical �noun pile-up � and �crash blossom � headlines like "Thailand Teacher Gag Fail Trauma" or "Virgin Alerts Infected Customers" with WOD/Caption of the Day? You have to work out what it means and give your own interpretation of it. On the Beeb News site the other day, for example, the following headline* appeared: Roman Dead Baby Brothel Mystery Deepens. What on earth could it possibly mean? (see * below, if you can�t guess)

12 Aug 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agreed with Linda but then, after reading some posts I guess it �d be difficult in some cases to discuss certain topics ... although we should be able to exchange views and ideas in a civilized way, not everyone can get to be "civilized" , as it �s already happened .
I �m all for it though, to be one of the "respectful, civilized, non-agressive, open-to-ideas" esl member ! I �m sure there are many others like me !!

12 Aug 2011     

juliag
Japan

I �m all for it, it will be a great chance to learn more about the world and the opinions of other people in a respectful manner. Also love Maryse �s suggestion of a first topic. Not sure how often I will have time to take part, and like Mariethe says will probably find I can only talk (write) about things I feel strongly about,  but I think it is a brilliant idea and will enjoy reading what other people have to say even on those days I don �t have anything to say.

13 Aug 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

All for it, Linda.

If I see one more WOD or Caption contest (which, BTW, not only seem to proliferate but also get lamer every day), I �m going to hurl my computer out of the window. Same goes for �Can �t upload � posts (although I do see the need to help these frustrated souls).

I would be nice if the discussion you mention could be a �sticky � for a few days or am I asking for too much?

13 Aug 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

"Thailand Teacher Window Hurl Computer Flattens Bogus High-Energy Drinks Salesman"

Gosh, Philip, did I touch a nerve there? Mind you, I have to agree that the WOD/Caption competitions are becoming a bit stale, to say the least - which is precisely why I suggested combining them (OK, read �replace them �) with something of a more topical nature, while retaining the playful element.

I really don �t think there is a need for special discussion sessions on aspects of teaching and learning since surely that is one of the purposes of this forum. I mean, if someone really really wants to find out what others think of Vygotsky �s Zone of Proximal Development, for example, they �ll ask anyway.

13 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

I think that Victor�s stated intentions with this forum were strictly for reasons of professional assistance and that any information which might be provocative to other member �s sensibilities were to be delegated to the "teacher �s cafe�. Even the "Caption Contest" and the "Word of the Day" contests are more appropriate to the �teacher�s caf� than here. That being said, I have been constantly annoyed and dismayed, (even though I have participated), that many of this forum �s postings have been as about as legitimate as a medicinal marijuana dispensary is in South L.A.

A second reason I must fervently dissent from this suggestion is in regards to my relations and personal experiences with the recent posting of Mariethe �s concerning the riots in England. When the topic was first posted, I sent two lengthy private messages to Mariethe discussing my personal perspective on the riots and also my reasons for responding in private. It was not my intentions to hide any opinions of mine that other �s might find virulent, (I blog quite frequently and always under my true name all over the web), but because it was clearly stated by Victor in the forum rules, I understood that the topic and my opinions had no place being posted on the forum. The forum seems meant as a professional sanctuary away from the petty undermining and forced intrigues human beings frequently cast upon one another. Mariethe �s response seemed quite clearly to me as not kind gesture but more intentionally geared towards aggravating me into addressing this topic, (which her and I are quite polarized upon), in a public forum. The forum she is aware of being the most readily accessible to the other member � ears and eyes. This is a political motivation, (if not socially deviant) because it was meant to expose another member �s private, not professional, concerns for reasons of drawing a consensus of like-mindedness. That is the essence of political debate. I am ashamed of my fellow member here for that. It was as petty and spiteful as gossip-mongering is. If you wish to gossip, or be provocative to the sensibilities of other member �s, it seems Victor �s intentions were to do so in the teacher �s cafe. I have no problem with that...Nor am I ashamed of my opinions...But the teacher �s caf�, (or  private messages),  were the means  given here for addressing such dialogues.....And I do think Victor �s decisions in making that delineation was kind, wise and respectful to those who might come to this site only for professional assistance and not camaraderie...When you are merely going to buy a loaf of bread in a strange town you have never visited before, you don �t need to be dragged into whoever the store owner�s niece has run off with...nor do you want the grocer asking you what size underwear you have on for comparative reasons. Thus, I contend this forum was meant as professional courtesy to all ESL teachers and it should forever remain so.

13 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Some of us hold opinions that are based on life experience, what we�ve read, seen or felt. Others have opinions that are based on what they wish, how they feel things ought to be. Nevertheless most opinions are heartfelt and seldom can someone dissuade us from those beliefs no matter what we are presented with. Politics and religion are topics that tend to polarize people because of their nature. For every point of view there are a myriad of facts and semi facts and outright lies that can be used to support each side. As we grow older we either become more open minded or we hold onto our beliefs even more strongly, we become more passionate about our beliefs. People tend to gravitate to those who have similar opinions otherwise there would be constant conflict and disharmony which as a rule most people try to avoid although there are those who thrive in controversy and enjoy stirring the pot.

The best way to make someone dislike you is to disagree with a belief they have. There will be resentment for first disagreeing with you and secondly for possibly poking holes in your values. That is why arguments seldom leave anyone satisfied.  Your beliefs are shaken and you feel vulnerable and resentful for having someone challenge you or you don�t feel the other person�s views has any merit.

If you don�t mind having your ego bruised then by all means have these discussions. Remember though that we all do have egos and few of us like them stepped on intentionally or otherwise.  

Of course this is just my opinion.

BTW the first rule of the forum is very open to interpretation as to what can be discussed here. The bold is mine for emphasis. The etc. is a very big word there.

The forum:

�     You are free to use the forum to express yourself, ask for help, make suggestions, etc.

13 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

• Don �t use the forum for personal attacks. Those kind of posts will be removed by the administrator.

• Never insult other users or try to hurt them.

Common sense:
    If I tell someone in a private message that I can �t bear listening to hip-hop music because it endorses cruelty to women, a disregard to law and civility, and makes celebrities out of common criminals.and then that someone turns around and chooses to publicize an article on the forum, (rather than respond in like with a private message), that states how "revolutionary" hip-hop music is. that is the hope of mankind �s future and how it gives a voice to the disenfranchised..Screw you, dude...You are attacking me personally, utilizing one of the most cowardly weapons available, mob mentality. You are trying to hurt and burning a cross on my lawn. You have no place here according to the rules.   
  •  

13 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
    France

Now, listen Sean, I have tried to keep silent up to now. All the intentions you are giving me are not right. i sent my post and you chose to answer through pm which is alright and then when things began to get a little het up, you decided to use the forum... fair enough! Noone said anything! I could have felt hurt because most of those who replied disagreed with me ... I didn �t feel abandoned ( why should I?). I accepted everyone �s opinion even yours although I totally disagree with it! Why did I start the post in the beginning? I said it! I said that I strongly feel for social causes involving kids and families . It happens that many of the people involved in the riots were black people and there , I tried to understand why they were involved! We did not agree on the why �s! I never asked you to come to the forum but you did of your own accord. Of course it is a discussion that involved all our sensitivity and experiences but we feel stronger now that it is finished because we took a risk! We took the risk and you did too to disagree, to be abandonned, to be hurt, to be laughed at.... And what is the result? Well many people have thanked me for starting the subject and it has initiated some ideas for the future!

I don �t forget the pm you sent me for a more personal subject... I was very touched and I wished the best for you ... I am still very touched by the hypersensitive person that you are and I wish love and peace ( sorry if that seems clich�) in your life!Hug

13 Aug 2011     

< Previous   1    2