Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > English corner    

English corner

marta_marta
Poland

English corner

Hello everyone,
I �ve just started teaching at a kindergarten and I have to prepare an English corner in my classroom. My students are only 3 years old so I �m not sure what to use. I wonder if you have any ideas or maybe photos of your corners that you would like to share.
I �d be very grateful if anyone could help me.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!
Best regards,
Marta

23 Aug 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

For kids that small you need simple illustrations, flashcards or toys which are not too small nor do they have parts which are too small. If you �re talking about a corner on the wall, posters with simple cartoon characters or characters from your songs/rhymes would do (small kids may enjoy Pocoyo, Dora the Explorer, Winnie the Pooh...). Objects such as animal toys are great (every kid loves animals, and if they �re simple, not too small and colourful you �ll be able to cover many linguistic topics playing with them. Big floor puzzles are also good, whether cardboard or wooden or foam, because you can use them to have the kids sit on them, they can be �fields � in big floor/board games.
Do not use too complicated things, or things with sharp or tiny parts. Feely bags are great, because they help you use senses while studying and you can hang them on a hanger (just pick any colourful bag, or even box) and fill it with things that are soft/rough, smell nice,  etc. - my kids love guessing animals when all they have is shape, not details. Puppets are also lovely to have in a box and do sme role play with, or simple costume items (not face masks, but a queen �s crown, a wand...). If you can make or get hold of a soft ball with fields in basic colours on it, that �s great to play with.
Having one big central figure, a teddybear will do, who always starts and ends your lessons and who talks to kids also helps. They love having that order - beginning, interaction, ending, and you can have them cuddle or hold the teddy (use a washable kind or even a rubber/plastic one, fluffy ones are tricky if there are kids with allergies) and talk to it in English - it can be your �English friend � who only speaks English.

Hope some of this helps.

23 Aug 2011     

Errie
Japan

@anitarobi....Clap

These are great ideas. Thnx a lot.

24 Aug 2011     

marta_marta
Poland

Thank you Anitarobi!

24 Aug 2011