Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word/Phrase of the Day - Friday, 26/08/2011    

Word/Phrase of the Day - Friday, 26/08/2011

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Word/Phrase of the Day - Friday, 26/08/2011

Hello, Everyone!
Here is today �s Competition.

What does this frequently-used, English, idiomatic expression mean, when you say that you "can �t make head nor tail" of something?
Is it a Person?
Is it a Thing?
Is it an Abstract Thought?
What does it MEAN?

So scrap sensible submissions, s�il-vous-pla�t!  Send SILLY, SOPPY, STUPID suggestions!

Later today, I will choose as Winner, the Member who has given the "Blah-Blah-Blah-est" Entry.
You will also read the correct answer, later.

"Ready?  On your Marks!  GO!"

Les

26 Aug 2011      

chosen1
Mexico

It simply means: I don �t get it

26 Aug 2011     

misseleonora
Argentina

It�s what women say in humid days, when we realize we can�t leave home with a decent hairstyle.

26 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

This is an expression used by unsuccessful scientists who are trying to create life in a petri dish. "Darn garshnabit! I can �t make head nor tail." Ed

26 Aug 2011     

agagug
Canada

Quite simple indeed!
This expression is frequently used when you want to describe someone who is a poor loser at "tossing the coin". That person most likely never admits to lose regarding the result of the coin toss. We can also presume that the person does not get the game at all, or so we think... This kind of person is omnipresent in our society, you can easily recognise the specie(s) when you see someone often getting "ahead" and/or stepping on everybody else �s "tail".  

26 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

LOL@ Eleonora: Thumbs Up
Sophia

26 Aug 2011     

chosen1
Mexico

Ha ha ha. I must admit that that was FU-NNY agagug. You had me cracking up!! As I often have a vision in my head of what I read =) 

26 Aug 2011