Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Suggestions for Categories for Adult Student Awards    

Suggestions for Categories for Adult Student Awards

kaz76
United Kingdom

Suggestions for Categories for Adult Student Awards

Hello everyone

We are having a student celebration next month and are trying to think of some ideas for award categories. Last year we had serious categories  but this year we want to have a more light-hearted celebration.  We are trying to link the categories to a countries theme so thought an award for the student from the largest country, smallest country, highest country, furthest away etc. 

Does anyone have any other  suggestions for the awards?  - our students are all adults.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

26 Aug 2011      

sirhaj
Malaysia

I �m not really getting it but I will try.

1. Awards for the rising stars ( China (1), India (2), Brazil (3)-the countries considered as potential  superpower based on economic boom.
2. Awards for consistent remarkable performances:
       ( US, Canada, Europe ( u can break that to several countries), Japan, South Korea, Australia)-these countries are developed countries that contribute to global economy/science and technology since decades ago.
3. Awards for the fastest progress of the year ( Ghana (1), Qatar (2), Turkmenistan (3)- Top three of the fastest growing economies in 2011
4. Awards for breakthrough achievement: Israel (1), Singapore (2), South Korea (3)- countries that had struggled with numerous difficulties but managed to break through and become well-developed and rich countries in a short period of time ( e.g. civil war, lack of resource, lack of land size, war etc).
5. Award for best efforts and aims: United Nation ( All countries: everybody) efforts of trying to help each other, maintain peace, and works towards the greater good for everybody.

Please consider my ideas. Cry At least, look through it before you pass it...please

Sirhajwan

26 Aug 2011     

ariana07307
Ecuador

Sirhaj I like your Ideas a lot.... actually I�m thinking of using them myself....hehe

26 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Karen,

If it �s light-hearted ---

(Using English spelling of the name of the country as the base):
1. That with the most/fewest alphabet letters.
2. That with the most/fewest vowels.
3. That with the most/fewest consonants.
4. That with the most/fewest syllables.
5. That with first and last letter the same, eg. Albania.
6. That with the largest sequence of letters in direct alphabetical order.  kazakhSTan.
7. That with the largest sequence of letters in interrupted alphabetical order. zIMbabWe
8. That whose capital city has the same name as the country.  Mexico/Mexico City
9. That which contains an English word.  PoLAND
10. That which contains the initials of the Teacher or HeadTeacher.  Karen McKay TurKMenistan

You did say light-hearted.

I hope that I have helped.

Les 

26 Aug 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I love both your ideas.  Great stuff.

I think kids would really enjoy a light hearted and imaginative approach.  Building on Les �s suggestions you could add the following.

11. Countries with only one vowel letter (Cyprus, Egypt, Kyrgyzstan)  or one vowel sound (Chad)

12. Countries with all vowel letters (Mozambique, United States Of America, Republic of Equatorial Guinea, Dominican Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo)

13.  The longest name of a country consisting of alternating vowels and consonants (United Arab Emirates)

Cheers

Jayho

27 Aug 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

countries with a 2-coloured flag
countries with white-blue-red flags
the flattest country (Netherlands)
the most delicious country - France
the sweetest country - Switzerland, France,
the most cheesy country - Holland, France, ??
the most "beery" country - the Czech Republic, Germany, Austria
the most "winy" country - France, Italia, Australia...

etc...

27 Aug 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Some more ideas:

1. For the awards ( certificates, wrapped presents whatever they are), include the flags of the countries that the awards represent. Flags are very symbolic, colorful and captivating. It is very interesting.
2. You can divide the class into teams in accordance with continents ( North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania)
3. You can use the name of the biggest city ( like New York City) or the capital city (Washington) as the hints for the country that it represents ( US).

27 Aug 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Wow - so many terrific ideas

How about the countries that the famous people who most influenced the world (in a positive way) came from

Confuscius - China
Christopher Columbus - Italy
Einstein - Germany
Marie Curie - Poland
Anne Frank - The Netherlands
Henry Ford - USA
Ghandi - India
Mother Teresa - India
etc

Or, choose a theme such as famous novelists and the countries they come from, or famous/upcoming movie stars, or Olympians.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Aug 2011     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Wow - thank you for all your amazing ideas. I have plenty to go with now - and I loved the idea of the awards being given in that country �s flag. We �re definitely wanting to go more light-hearted this year because last year was much more formal. Thanks again for your help. Karen

27 Aug 2011