Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Anyone teach ESL to adults?    

Anyone teach ESL to adults?

ESL
United States

Anyone teach ESL to adults?

Hi everyone-

I am new to this site. I want to thank the people who have viewed my pages, and I hope that they are useful to you also.

I teach ESL to adults. I find that very rewarding. Anyone else out there do the same?

I am going back to school  to get endorsed in ESL for school aged children also.

23 Dec 2008      

colorblind
Hungary

Hello Miss ESL! :)

I also teach adults and I think its so funny with them...

They are a married couple, and they like the way I am teaching...

On the second lesson, when we met, they wanted to propose me to others, on turn they were beginners, so... English teaching is a nice and rewarding thing!

Merry Christmas to the whole ESL community! Clap

23 Dec 2008     

renca
Czech Republic

Hi, I have taught adults for about 15 years, so I have some experience now. It is not easy to teach them and especially find motivation, I managed to reduce the percentage of those who drop off to about 20 percent, which is very good for adult classes, but really hard work. If you wnat to exchange some ideas or tips, feel free to contact me.

Cheers from Renata

23 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

I also has the privilige of teaching adults and a mixed bunch they are too. here in the UK we teach English for Speakers of Other Languages to settled people, asylum seekers/refugees and others who wish to improve their English. The student  body is very multiracial, multicultural and multilingual  and so I really have a wonderful time teaching them and learning from them. I would love to share experiences.

Seasons Greetings.

23 Dec 2008     

viggia (F)
Italy

join the club!
I couldn�t enjoy it more!

Season�s Greetings from foggy Italy

23 Dec 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

I am in the same situation as Aftab, teaching ESOL to adults.  It is a wonderful job and very rewarding:))

Merry Christmas to you all

23 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I�m teaching adults here in Chile. �I find it�s just as rewarding as teaching kids without all the stress. �In fact I have zero stress. �I could never do anything else now that I�ve found the perfect job. �I�ve been teaching for almost 5 years.

23 Dec 2008     

Helen McK
Ireland

I agree with Wolfy.  Teaching adults is the perfect job, in my opinion.

By the way, welcome to the community! Smile

Helen

23 Dec 2008     

Helen McK
Ireland

One other small thing -   Could I ask those of you who design printables which are orientated at adults to include the word adult as a keyword (other content) when you are editing the printable information? This will make it easier for other teachers who work with adults to find your material. 

23 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Actually, I dislike teaching adults (well, beginners actually - advanced convo is the easiest thing ever)... LOL I find them "thick", impatient at times and many are looking for a quick sure-fire method to learn English.

Kids are sponges, they absorb everything and are a delight to work with. Teenagers can be difficult but if you can manage to relate to them, they are also fun to work with.

Also, I hate to say this, but I love preparing people for official exams simply because I LOVE grammar! So adults and grammar are good too!! LOL

23 Dec 2008