Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Suggestion to allow PDF files, rather than only MS-Word ".doc" files.    

Suggestion to allow PDF files, rather than only MS-Word ".doc" files.

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Suggestion to allow PDF files, rather than only MS-Word ".doc" files.

I appreciate the need for uniformity. It almost always guarantees that all ESLP users can use what they download. However, allowing PDF files would offer even greater assurance, wouldn�t it?

In addition, most of the stuff I make, I can�t share here, as MS-Word (as far as I know) does not compress files once they are completed, whereas Adobe Acrobat makers do. I can make a 1MB Word file, and then make it almost half as small by saving it as a PDF.

Does anyone else feel that allowing PDF files would be a reasonable idea?

If there is already a thread/comment for this topic, I am sorry to waste your time.

14 Sep 2011      

douglas
United States

I understand your point of view and the advantages of pdf.

However, the problem with pdf is that many people only have a pdf reader and can �t make changes to a pdf file.  This is a problem when grammar/spelling mistakes need to be corrected, which is the case for probably 65% of the files I download.

Personally I would not download pdf files and would not be happy if I downloaded a file expecting it to be MS Word format and it was pdf.

Just my take on the subject,

Douglas

14 Sep 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

I second Douglas. The benefits of smaller file sizes are negated by the inflexibility of PDF files. Not being able to edit a file is often a big handicap. Not only is editing necessary to get rid of occasional mistakes, it is also very useful to adapt worksheets to your specific needs.

BTW, I also support Moravc in her quest for editable Word documents and b/w pics. 

14 Sep 2011     

marcella8161
Italy

I always thought a PDF would be better, but I didn �t think about the editing. Sure that would be a problem. Maybe we can state that if if the file is a PDF one and maybe post two files: one in PDF and one in Word. How do you feel about that?

14 Sep 2011     

Kisdobos
Hungary

I second Douglas, PhilipR and marcella8161. While pdf has several advantages - another one is being able to embed your fancy fonts - I think adaptibility is of utmost importance with teaching materials.   

I agree that one solution to implement pdf �s here could be to allow pdf uploads only as long as the same worksheet is uploaded in doc format, too. Then the users could download their preferred format. Previews would still be generated from the doc file, but once you click on the ws, you could see two download icons: doc and pdf.

14 Sep 2011     

Apodo
Australia

But if there ARE mistakes perhaps it would  be better if the PDF wasn �t available to all to disseminate some very dubious English. But really, I�d be quite happy to see PDFs on this site, and it is a good way to reduce the file size.

14 Sep 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Uploading double files - Word and PDF - totally defies the saving space purpose.

As for saving space - is this really a problem? There are roughly half a million files hosted here. Should the average file size be 1 MB (I �m sure it �s lower), that would mean 500,000 MB, which is 500 GB. 

In my local hardware store you can now get a 1 terabyte (1000 GB) hard drive for the equivalent of about 100 US dollars. So is running out of space really a problem or am I missing something here?

14 Sep 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

I agree with Apodo ( Marion), I always ask for her help before I publish some of my worksheet and she always detects many errors which I am not really aware of, word allows us to edit the work. I think we should just stick to word. Don �t get me wrong, I love PDF a lot but it does not really give us the autonomy to modify the worksheet.

Sirhajwan

14 Sep 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Philip - a couple years ago, this site did run out of space and we members helped Victor buy more storage. But otherwise -he does foot the bill for this site. There are no advertisements and it �s free.  (thanks Victor!)

There are far too many mistakes on many of the worksheets for PDFs in my opinion. Plus, many still have words and explanations in the original language. Some are good worksheets but are too "local" culturally. 

I always correct each and every ws I give my students. I know for a fact, that if a child learns something that is incorrect from the start- then it �s difficult to correct that first impression.  First impressions stick - unfortunately.

There are lots of good and relatively cheap programs that compress word files without compromising the quality. I use NXpowerlite and it works great.

There are places online where you can compress Word docs too.

I think everyone here needs the option to correct, add to, edit and adapt to their own students.

Liberty

14 Sep 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

The text is not heavy, it is always the problem of pictures.
Why don �t you resize the pictures before you use them in your printables?

Or do this simple thing:
Select all pics on the page, open a picture editor (eg. MS Paint), copy the pics, save as a single-page picture.
Open a blank doc, insert the big single pic in the background, and copy/write all the text on the top of it. The text is editable and the pictures are non-editable.
Easy. It is a matter of 1 minute.

Also try my free tutorial: Compact Editable BW printer-friendly Worksheets

There are several more ways how to reduce the size of the document, eg. NXpowerlite and other software which reduces the whole document...
There are many tutorials on the internet how to minimize file size:
http://superuser.com/questions/6843/minimize-file-size-of-microsoft-word-documents

IF you WANT TO SHARE the file as it is, copy-paste the contents into a blank PPT.
The size limit of ppt is 2 MB !
(this way you can share editable worksheets...)

Good luck! Hope it helps!

14 Sep 2011     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Thank you to everyone for your opinions.

Whilst I always check my uploads for typing errors (essentially spelling errors), I do often open something I made a while previously, spot an error and correct it. PDF files would indeed prohibit correcting errors.

Thank you all.

I hoop there wurn �t enny miss-takes in this messij   :)

27 Sep 2011