Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Response System    

Response System

Greek Professor
Greece

Response System

Hello to all...
Hope your new school year is a great one.
Well with technology advancing and books are starting to become obsolete at school Confused, I am sure that many of you have IWB, and I am sure that you all have been doing alot of work for it...I was wondering if any of you are using response systems or clickers....I would love some feedback.
If you don �t know what they are, you can take a look here; http://www.enjoy-ars.com/

Be well

17 Sep 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello Professor,

My College has this system.  Although I have not used it myself, I have worked with colleagues who have.

They frequently use it for a Multiple-Choice-Quiz, with, (for example), 4 Students at every one of 6 Tables.  Every Table has a "Clicker".

The Teacher asks the Question and displays it on the Whiteboard --- there is a Pause for Discussion among Students --- the "Clicker" is pressed, either button A, B, C, or D, (because there are 4 possible Answers, or more).

The System goes into action --- the number of guesses for each Answer is displayed on the Whiteboard, then the Correct Answer, and then the Scores for Table 1 to 6, plus the Total Score.

My Colleague also uses it frequently for every Student, for Yes or No Questions; True or False Questions; Correct or Incorrect Answers.

It is expensive; it is electronic, so it frequently fails; "Clickers" are sometimes stolen; it is sometimes laborious to set up, especially for complicated uses.

It often strikes me as a Gimmick, because it removes Personal Involvement from the Game, but many Students like it.  It is seen as �modern �, �computer �, �Game Show �.  It can encourage co-operation among Students, but �Mr. Big� sometimes dominates.

Some Students who do not normally participate, like it, because it is impersonal, and Answers/Results can be seen only by the Teacher, if that is what the Teacher wishes.

Les

17 Sep 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thanks alot Les... We have them too this year. Yes, the kids love them....For some reason i think it is too impersonal. Sometimes it doesn �t respond and I lose time in getting it sep up again. Anyway...i suppose anything to get ALL the kids involved...

Looking forward for more feedback

17 Sep 2011