Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WOD for Sept. 19, 2011    

WOD for Sept. 19, 2011

Zora
Canada

WOD for Sept. 19, 2011

Good Monday morning to everyone,

Alex has very graciously passed the baton over to me and so making this very grey Monday not so grey - at least for me! Smile

Here is the little word that I found that needs defining:

Rigadoon

As you know, no dictionary definitions... So brighten my Monday some more, tell me what you think "rigadoon" really should mean. Be as inventive as you like, feel free to use pictures, diagrams or pie charts. All is fair is love and WOD! Wink Above all, have fun!

Now let´s get started!!

19 Sep 2011      

douglas
United States

Rigadoon is the Latvian version of Alan Jay Lerner�s "Brigadoon" (the Scottish village that would appear only one day every one hundreds years)

(I always loved the sword dance if it was done right)

Douglas

19 Sep 2011     

libertybelle
United States

I love Brigadoon too and especially the music - I wish they would re-do it again.
It lacks local authenticity!

19 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

The one I liked best was seeing it on stage as part of Alan Hancock College �s summer theater program--awesome!  AHC is actually a California junior college, but has been a stepping stone for a number of great acting talents--when it came to theater, I guess I was spoiled as a child.

PS- I remember trying out for a role in Brigadoon at AHC (I was maybe 8).  It didn �t work because I couldn �t "sing a lick". Cry

19 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

let �s see...
RIGA means line in Italian
DOON in the contraction of DOOM of the MOON
So you have to understand :

Follow the straight Italian line until the Moon which will tell you your Doom !

I have just asked it and it answered tomorrow will be a sunny day...

19 Sep 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

What the fortune teller saw in her crystal ball wasn �t very auspicious so she used the magic word that has the power to modify bad omens "Rigadoon!".  It means "rig our doom" -  rig (fix, manipulate) our doom (fate, destiny) - but her strong accent made it sound like Rigadoon.

19 Sep 2011