Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Debate Topic: Fat Tax    

Debate Topic: Fat Tax

Zora
Canada

Debate Topic: Fat Tax

As most of our Danish members know, a new tax was added in Denmark at the beginning of Oct... The Fat Tax! (And, no, it �s not a tax on overweight people. LOL )

Read here:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2096185,00.html

My opinion on such a thing is mixed. I don �t think healthy foods should be taxed, but junk food, most definitely. I also believe that instead of taxing the public and companies, maybe something "positive" like a tax break on food that doesn �t contain unhealthy fats might work too.

What are your opinions on this?

6 Oct 2011      

tulpen25
Netherlands

I don �t believe it will make much of a difference. Increasing the price of cigarettes and alcohol still hasn �t stopped people from drinking and smoking. If people really want to buy junk food, they �ll still buy it.

6 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

That �s true to some extent. However, people are funny when it comes to food. Raise the price of milk or bread 2 cents and people yell and scream, raise a pack of cigarettes 25 cents and nobody says "boo".

I think people will take notice since it affects almost all food except fruit and veg. Now what I don�t know is how people will react to that.

6 Oct 2011     

tulpen25
Netherlands

Yes, people will most likely complain.

I don �t understand why they �re making butter and other things like milk and cheese so much more expensive. If anything, it will force people to eat the cheaper, more processed foods. We eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and I make almost everything from scratch. Soups, sauces, bread, etc.  I �d much rather use butter or oil in my cooking than something that �s been highly processsed. Products like cheese and milk are fine in moderation and important sources of calcium, especially for young children.

I �d much rather see a huge increase on the price of sweets, chocolate and crisps.

It �ll be very interesting to see if it makes a big change! :)

6 Oct 2011