Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Are your students the same?!?!?!?!?    

Are your students the same?!?!?!?!?

Mar0919
Mexico

Are your students the same?!?!?!?!?

Hello, dear colleagues......! I �m sorry, but I just have to vent a little, or I �ll go crazy!!!!

I just thought I �d ask: Are your students also the same ?!?!??!? 

It just drives me up a wall, when I leave a project, set the date for them to turn it in.... ask them to PLEASEEEEEEEE send me a draft of it with 2 or 3 days in advance in order for me to help them check it, so they have time to correct any possible mistakes or problems (it �s a video, so I wanted to make sure it runs OK on my machine, since that �s where we �ll be projecting it from) ...... and THEY NEVER DO!!! It �s like they don �t care.... and then if there are mistakes, they �ll ask for a chance to do it again....

If I stick strictly to the rules I set for the project, they �d fail =(   
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

What do you do in those cases??? Are your students like that????

Mine always have the "excuse" that they have so much homework and projects from the other subjects, and sometimes it �s true, that �s why I have been flexible with them, but I �m afraid that if I �m ALWAYS flexible, they �ll never learn to be responsible......

Any opinions on this?!?!?!?

Signed: Frustrated teacher! ;)

10 Oct 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

Can you deduct grades for every day they are late?

10 Oct 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Maybe set 2 dates. Give them an assignment due date. Check what they give you...
then give them a reviewed assignment due date after giving them a critique.
Assign a mark for the first assignment & then another mark for their reviewed assignment... 

You �ll have to think carefully about how you �ll assign marks. Maybe give a �topup � percentage from the non-compulsory(?) reviewed assignment?

Just some ideas from the top of my head... not fully thought out...

10 Oct 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Manon & AB for your opinions. Yes, Manon, I can deduct points from their grade, for every day they �re late, but... that would there would probably be cases where they might even be 5 days late! and a 5 here in Mexico is an F (failing grade!)

AB, good idea..... I have to think it thoroughly and see how I can implement it for next bimester.

For this bimester, I �ll just continue to pull my hair, and make the best of it. The evaluation period is just around the corner, and no time to re-adjust dates, cuz they still have one more project to hand in. If I re-set the date, they �d end up with 2 projects in their hands, and it would be worse.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my hyperventilation! LOL

10 Oct 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

There should be somebody in the classroom who leads the class to wrongdoings. It �s a crowd syndrom. The similar situation was in my adult ESL class. There was a young student who was always disrupting the whole class. Luckily there was a �mother hen � who helped me with the discipline but that wasn �t the way out. Finally we ended up facing each other for a private conversation with the director as a �referee � sitting not that far from us. But still it didn �t help. But you know what helped, by miracle -- a class trip. After that everything �s changed...

10 Oct 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Maybe this helps?
http://busyteacher.org/5105-assign-effective-homework-students-will-enjoy.html

10 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

Perhaps, I am too hard but I find children are given way too many chances nowadays; and to be honest, I would fail the ones that don �t meet your deadline. When I went to school, we had deadlines and if we didn �t hand in an assignment before the deadline, we failed - plain and simple.

Life isn �t fair, and it �s full of responsiblities and maybe if they learned that, they might actually pull up their socks a bit and turn in your assignment on time next time.

10 Oct 2011     

silvia.patti
Italy

This morning I read with my students a text, then I gave them 8 minutes to answer 8 questions about it. When the time had gone, I started to check the answers but some of my students weren �t ready because they spent their time in chatting... I �m sorry for them but I had to respect those who did their work in 8 minutes; otherwise I �ll lose my credibility.

10 Oct 2011     

isabelle99
Monaco

When students don �t do the work they are asked to, I give them a detention hour telling them they owe me an hour for not doing what they are expected to. But I come with them during the detention hour so that I am sure they work properly; it �s like a private lesson, so parents can �t complain because it �s for their child �s own good and students can �t find excuses. It implies extra hours for me but it is worthy because fortunately, after 1 or 2 detention hours, they are fed up and they manage to do their work on time afterwards. 

10 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

dear Mar,

may you link your project with others of their teachers ? Geography ? History ? Mother tongue ? Science ? Literature ? ...

Can you point out with them a pragmatical goal linked with such an interesting project ?

Maybe you may think the project like an official shooting ? I mean let them imagine they are Spielberg �s (or whoever you are thinking of) assistants for example. And that the project is going to be presented to the Award Ceremony if a presentation of their work is possible before Xmas or at the end of the year for example. Thus create a project team and give each student a particular responsability. Don �t forget to name the chief project.

I don �t know if this could actually help but it may give you some other motivating ideas...

Plenty of hugs dear !

By the way you are my WOD winner !

Maryse.

10 Oct 2011