Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching Learning    

Teaching Learning

grimsim
France

Teaching Learning

I would like to know how you tackle this issues in your classroom:

1.      Do you allow students to learn for themselves and do they do projects where they have to figure things out?

2.      Do you allow students to make mistakes or do they get a failing grade every time they make a mistake?

3.      Do you have opportunities for students to help each other out with lessons? Can they work together?

4.      Do you have any �real world� application projects such as letting them help decide on classroom rules or consequences for behavior?

5.      Do you take them outside? Do they get to work in other ways besides just sitting in their desks?

6.      Are you teaching by the standards for your grade level?

7.      Are you connecting lessons to the world so students can see how important they are in the global picture?

14 Oct 2011      

Aurore
France

YES to all your questions except "do they get a failing grade every time they make a mistake?" Of course not.
I �m surprised no one has answered before me but maybe the YES is so obvious that no one has bothered but I thought that if you �re asking then maybe it �s not that obvious. 

14 Oct 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

My situation is different from yours, but I actively encourage my students to make mistakes in their speaking and free writing (not cloze or rephrasing) activities. If they are afraid to make mistakes, if they have to perform correctly the first time, they are afraid to practice. I just tell them not to make the same mistake again, to make different mistakes. 

I do tell them that some mistakes are better than others. If they make mistakes because they use new words or grammatical constructs, then they make excellent mistakes and I don �t count off for those. If they make mistakes that show some understanding, those are better mistakes than something they pulled out of thin air.

But I teach adults from many different backgrounds Low Beginning ESL (Level 2). I don �t give grades per se. All of my students are in my class voluntarily because they know they need English. I don �t want to discourage them.

15 Oct 2011