Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > Power Point saved in "compatibility mode" gets too big    

Power Point saved in "compatibility mode" gets too big

makaoschool
Bulgaria

Power Point saved in "compatibility mode" gets too big

So my problem is that I work with Office 2007 and when I want to post something here I just save it as an earlier version (as ppt, not pptx). Bur this time my ppt becomes too big (like 5 to 6 imes bigger) when it is saved in the earlier format and as it is already in 3 parts I can split it anymore. I guess it �s something too do with features missing in earlier formats and it probably saves the fancier text like pics. I can change all the text to some simpler styles (though I �m not willing as I like it like it is) but it will take a lot of time. So my questions are:

Does anybody know a way to edit all text boxes at once. 

And isn �t it possible to be able to upload pptx and docx (I guess most of the people are using them now - though not sure:)

Thank you very much! Have a great day!

15 Nov 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

What is making it heavy is probably the pictures, not the texts. My first move would be to compress the pictures.

15 Nov 2011     

perma
Greece

Hi!

I agree the problem most probably doesn �t lie in the text boxes.

Here are two things you can try: 

First save the pictures on your pc before inserting them in the ppt. No copy paste directly from the internet. Open the pictures with a program like microsoft office picture manager or similar first and resize them and compress them appropriately before inserting them in the ppt. I �ve found out that resizing a picture inside the ppt would make the file size bigger.

Another thing that makes the ppt heavier is the templates you might be using. Don �t use the templates found in the later powerpoint versions. They will cause size problems when you convert to earlier versions. Put a plain background colour instead, or even a picture of your own, which must be first resized and compressed of course. 

I hope this solves it! 

15 Nov 2011     

makaoschool
Bulgaria

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I �ll try all of them :)

The problem with the text box in my opinion comes when there is some desing option not available in previous version - in which case the program saves the whole text box as a single picture - I guess :) - otherwise it won �t be possible for the text to be displayed in the same way. The pictures are not too big, beacause I have no problem in 2007 version. 

15 Nov 2011     

perma
Greece

Try the templates first which is very easy, but if the problem persists try what i told you to do with the pictures. i also have no problems when working in office 2007 but the files get huge when i convert them, unless i follow these steps.

15 Nov 2011     

makaoschool
Bulgaria

Thanks I �ll try. Unfortunately I have no template to remove but hopefully the pics will be the key! :)

16 Nov 2011     

makaoschool
Bulgaria

It worked, THANK YOU!

17 Nov 2011