Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > WHY NOT ADD PDF FORMAT    

WHY NOT ADD PDF FORMAT

nataliaalmoines
Spain

I think MJ Misa and PhilipR are right, some worksheets have mistakes we and our students � needs are different so sometimes we must adapt the worksheets. I don �t think it �s so difficult to use a common  font.

7 Dec 2011     

Matsuri
Italy

It is not confidence MJ_Misa, you just have to read your work it many times. 
If you had to write a presentation letter, or your thesis, or anything, would you not read it a million times and just make sure that there are not any mistakes?
You are all saying that even natives make mistakes because we are all humans, but COME ON, it doesn �t take that much to read your paper one more time and be sure to fix every mistake!

Anyways BUON NATALE A TUTTI!! 

7 Dec 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

For me the issue isn �t the mistakes. As others have mentioned as well, I more often than not adapt the worksheets to my students � needs. I will often change the names to those of my students or of their teachers for example simply to make it �talk to them � more. I also often change the vocabulary a little to fit closer to the vocabulary we covered in class. I will change every rubber to eraser and most autumns to fall ..... Many of the worksheets here have too little space for kids to write in so I will often sacrifice fancy borders to enlarge the lines and widen the spacing.... etc. etc. etc.  Even if a worksheet is beautiful and gramatically perfect, chances are i still can �t use it if it is in pdf format....
Of course this site is also about showing off how great your work is, but it is first and for all about enabling others to use your work and therefore making their lives a little easier...

7 Dec 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Matsuri,
saying "if I have spent HOURS creating my worksheet, and I have made sure that it is PERFECT and perfectly valid all over the world, why would I want someone else to edit my precious work?" is too much confidence in my humble opinion. But you call it as you like. Wink It seems you don �t want to understand that not all wss are suitable for all of us and some changes may be necessary. Phillip and Marion explained it clearly enough and most of the members here second that. You should listen to people who have been members here for some time, because we have already got some experience with ESLP wss. And if you really want upload your wss in PDF format, there are also many different sites you can upload them.Smile

7 Dec 2011     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I have also had problems uploading my worksheets as I find it hard to keep them under the 500kb.

That said, it is really great that we can download in word as it is so much easier to edit. No worksheet is perfect - even though I do try really hard to make mine as perfect as possible I make them with my pupils in mind, therefore I can fully understand that other users would like to change things to suit their pupils needs.

PDF solves the size problem as they take up less room, and one can copy from PDF to word if you need to change things, but it is a hassle and fonts are not the same.

Size wise I try to write in the blurb for my worksheets if I have other too big stuff and say that people can send me a message with their E-mail and i will send the extra file. Ok you don �t get points, but that is not the only reason for sharing is it?

Scans are a pain as they cannot be edited or stolen from!

Maybe there should be a way to add edited worksheets to the original - I adapted a really good sheet the other day (I added pictures) and thought that it would be nice to share my improvements, but if I uploaded it as my own it would be cheating. I don �t want to take credit for the sheet or get points for someone else �s work, merely give my input.

All in all I LOVE this site, I think that the whole got to give before you get principal is great as it forces us to share our stuff :-)

Thank you to all of you

Hope you all have a very merry Christmas
Cindy

7 Dec 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

The problem of size had been discussed before. In my opinion the PDF files are not the right solution. By the way, we can upload non-editable JPG picture, instead of the editable version... It takes 20 seconds to turn a single page into a JPG picture, insert it into DOC and save it... :-))

DOCX are the right solution!!! They are small in size and yet EDITABLE! Maybe we can PERSUADE VICTOR to ALLOW DOCX FILES!!!
All members with Win XP, 2000, Vista can download a free utility and they WILL be able to read DOCX. Believe me, I used to have XP and I was ABLE to open, read, edit DOCX...
:-D

Dear Matsuri, if you want to "preserve" your fancy fonts, you can copy-paste the headline into MS Paint, save it as jpg and insert it into the DOC. Done in 10 seconds.

But remember, most members prefer EASY-TO-READ fonts in exercises!!! Especially, if you work with KIDS!
So there is NO need to have cute fonts in the exercises as well... And you can always give the font name and the downloaders will be able instal that cute font too... Wink

Editable exercises are a must... It is nice to be able to edit the pics too, for example I prefer true BW pictures. I don �t like greyscale pics... The shades of gray cost too much money! Most students prefer outlined pictures they can COLOUR !
To solve problems with the size of the wss - visit FREE TUTORIALS SECTION: eg:
Compact Editable BW printer-friendly Worksheets

8 Dec 2011     

mariec
Spain

"you just have to read your work it many times" ????

8 Dec 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Sorry to burst your bubble, Matsi, but perfect worksheets that are useful around the world unaltered simply don �t exist. Cool

And if they did, they would belong on a museum wall, not on an EFL sharing site. Pig

BTW, what is wrong with common standardized fonts? I think most of us agree that content is a lot more important than form. Young learners don �t need to get bombarded with all kinds of fancy and curly fonts until they �ve learned the basics anyway.

Just embrace this website as it is. It �s not perfect, but then again, it �s not that bad either. Hug

8 Dec 2011     

Matsuri
Italy

My suggestion was not in any way to critique this website, since I love it too, I believe it is great, but even this website can get better, and from your answers, I realized that what I suggested is not considered a solution by any of you. 
What I asked you was not to "burst my bubble" (and by the way PhilipR, Matsi? Really? I didn �t know we were such acquaintances that you could give me a nickname), what I asked you was just your opinion. I don �t believe I ever offended any of you, so I don �t know why certain people had to get so harsh with their comments.

Anyways, I guess you all have a good point, as I said, mine was only a suggestion, and was supposed to be taken as it was; I believe some people did not fully understand what I meant, but that �s okay. Thank you all for responding, because at least now I know why NOT.

Wish you all a wonderful Christmas :)

9 Dec 2011     

< Previous   1    2