Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Maternity    

Maternity

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Maternity

Hi dear friends

Happy New Year to all of you.

Could you, native people, give me a hand?

What �s the name you call to a hospital, where pregnant women give birth? Can I say " maternity" or do I have to say " maternity hospital" or ... something else.
I �m teaching directions and I am doing a game, with several public buildings and I would like to have this special place, but, the moment I was about to write I was not that sure.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

4 Jan 2012      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Linda,
It �s definitely a maternity hospital (not just a maternity) in the US, and they aren �t very common now. Usually there �s a maternity ward in a general hospital.

Bruce

4 Jan 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Bruce

Thanks, that was what I thought, but I didn �t want to be right, because - LOL - I have a very small square and "maternity ", only, is  a very smaller word for the little room I have to write. I guess maternity ward is not what I need, cause I am referring to buildings, seen from the outside, so ward is not fine, in this situation.

I �ll have to either leave the maternity out or change the size of the font.

Thanks anyway, great help and prevented me from being silly, I was about to write a mistake.

Thanks, have a nice day and better year.

Linda

4 Jan 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi girl
It �s maternity unit.

4 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Linda, you �re right about "maternity hospital"
Sophia

4 Jan 2012     

tech_teacher
Bahamas

I haven�t heard of a hosiptal that deals solely with maternity care. However I have heard of �birthing Centres � that are dedicated to maternity matters.

4 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

birth centre -  a medical facility, often associated with a hospital, that is designed to provide a comfortable, homelike setting during childbirth and that is generally less restrictive than a hospital in its regulations, as in permitting midwifery or allowing family members or friends to attend the delivery.

maternity hospitala hospital that provides care for women during pregnancy and childbirth and for newborn infants.

maternity home - a group residency environment where a pregnant women who is considering placing her unborn child for adoption can live until her child is born. 

maternity ward - the department of a hospital that provides care for women during pregnancy and childbirth as well as for newborn infants. (as is a maternity unit)

Here in Ukraine we do still have maternity hospitals which are called "birth houses" if translated word for word and we use an acronym "roddom" (a little cultural exchange:)

SophiaSmile

5 Jan 2012     

douglas
United States

you could use "baby shop"  Big smile
or
"McBabies"
or
"Tot Drop"
or
"kids to go"
or