Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HOW TO LOWER THE LEVEL OF ANXIETY IN STUDENTS    

HOW TO LOWER THE LEVEL OF ANXIETY IN STUDENTS

Missfrancisca
Spain

HOW TO LOWER THE LEVEL OF ANXIETY IN STUDENTS

Dear Colleagues

I have just been part of a board for a speaking test, and I am worried becuase there are so many  students who study hard and are really good in the lessons but when confronted by a speaking tests they feel so underconfident and stressed that are unable to carry out the task, could you help me and give me some techniques to help them lower their level of anxiety. Looking forward to your advice.

Missfrancisca

17 Jan 2012      

Scarlete
Macedonia

Dear colleague,
You could use conversation cards as a speaking activity. Make several cards with questions and answers according to your students � level. Then students work in pairs, one asks the questions, and the other searches for the correct answer in his set of answers. They can take turns. After a week or two (depends on the anxiety), modify the activity by giving the pairs only cards with questions. Thus they will start to produce sentences by themselves.

17 Jan 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

I rarely put my students on the spot in front of a whole classroom. I divide the class in subgroups.

If my students have to present something, they present it multiple times to subgroups. That way, it gives me an opportunity to hear them again if it did not work the first time. They also get more confidence as they repeat their presentation as well.

17 Jan 2012     

douglas
United States

Quite honestly, when I used to teach public speaking, the best remedy for this problem was putting them "on the spot" in front of a group where they felt safe, but also felt they were on the hot seat (felt they were being intensely scrutinized).

The more you talk in front of people, the easier it gets.   Sitting in front of an evaluation  board is even harder--to get confident in such situations requires similarly intense practice sessions.

But don �t forget to build them back up and encourage them afterwards.

Douglas

17 Jan 2012