Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Please help    

Please help

feii
Greece

Please help

Hello to everyone.

Can someone please help me with the definiton of
"I �ve roughed up the d campaign"

Thanks to all in advance.

Greetings from rainy Greece.

25 Jan 2012      

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi...
Now do you mean the whole sentence or the exp. rough up?

In a strict sense, the object being descibed has been subject to physical violence. When used as a slang term, the implication is that the said object is undesirable or otherwise crippled.
Strict: The police roughed up a criminal on drugs before arresting him.
Slang: "John �s car is roughed up." This would imply that John �s car has many undesirable qualities, eg. old, worn, broken, etc
Slang: If your grandmother cooked you a birthday cake and it looked like a lump of sand, you might say that cake is roughed up.

ckeck out...

Have a nice day.

Athens is sunny but slightly cold...

25 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

I think it means "I �ve prepared a rough draft (first version) of the campaign."

Bruce

25 Jan 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I would not use this sentence!

As the Greek professor mentioned, roughed up means to beat up! However, you could say, "I have roughed out the campaign." Which would have the meaning that Bruce refers to.

There maybe other interpretations from the other side of the pond, but as far as I know this is the British take on this subject Smile

Following the trend I can tell you that Odense (Denmark) is cold (under freezing point all day) but sunny!

Cindy

25 Jan 2012