Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What are you reading - and more!    

What are you reading - and more!

libertybelle
United States

What are you reading - and more!

Ideas needed!!

It �s been a while since this thread has been up on the board.
What are you reading at the moment?

I �ve run out of ideas for some good books for myself and NOT my students!
Lists of titles of great books would really be appreciated!

Last time this thread was up I ran out and got 20 books that you members suggested and they were fantastic - so come on with the books you love!

Thanks
Libertybelle  Heart

31 Jan 2012      

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear,

I guess you will recognize some titles... Let �s try to give you some new title :

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan... (interesting book about 2 teens traveling through time to defeat an evil ancient Greek god)

Stranger than fiction, urban myths by Phil Healey and Rick Glanville - Penguin Readers (a collection of funny very very very short British stories)

The Elephant Man by Tim Vicary (an abridged version easy to work with beginners) - Oxford University Press, Oxford Bookworms Library.

The Doll �s House and other Stories by Katherine Mansfield - Penguin Readers (for intermediates)

Clockwork or All Wound Up by Philip Pullman (a fiction story to read absolutely...) - try to look at www.kidsatrandomhouse.co.uk

I hope you did not know at least 1 of them !

Plenty of hugs.

Maryse.

31 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

I love the Reacher novels by Lee Child. Since he �s British, but Reacher is an American living in the US, it is interesting to see the little slips (just one or two per book) when he uses a British word for something (such as lift for elevator, although I don �t think that is one that I have actually seen).

Right now I �m reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire (author of Wicked). I �m about halfway through it, and it �s totally different from Wicked - very slow progress in the story. I don �t think this one will ever be made into a musical.

Bruce

31 Jan 2012     

teresapr
Portugal

Hi, LIbertybelle! One of these days when I was wandering in a bookshop trying to find books that were interesting but at a good price, Ive found "Big Girl" by Danielle Steel. Even though I am starting with this writer for the first time and I �ve just read a few pages I think I can recommend it to you if: you �re tired and you are addicted to reading as I am before falling asleep since it deals with "one woman �s journey to discover who she really is" and as far as I know it has got to do with family life, siblings, parents/children relationships and the pains of growing up when you feel your parents have a favourite child. May be it �s not your favourite type of book but there are times in your life that type of reading can also be enriching anyway!
Best wishes!
Teresa

31 Jan 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Reamde by Neal Stephenson and A Supposedly Fun Thing I �ll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace. At the same time. Sort of...

31 Jan 2012     

calixa2
Canada

Hello,

Right now I �m reading the Twilight series, my students just love them!

I also recommend Sharon Draper�s books (especially for reluctant readers)
She was herself an English teacher. Here �s her site: http://sharondraper.com/
You will find titles and also study guides.

My favourites:
Double Dutch-Delia loves Double Dutch more than just about anything, and she��s really good at it -- so good she and her teammates have a shot at winning the World Double Dutch Championships. Delia would die if she couldn��t jump -- but Delia has a secret, and it could keep her off the team next year.

Romiette and Julio- Like Shakespeare�s famous star-crossed lovers, Romiette Cappelle and Julio Montague face strong opposition to their budding romance. In their case, a dangerous gang�s disapproval of their interracial relationship puts the two in mortal peril..

1 Feb 2012     

aloga
Spain

My present "bedside book " is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.
Have a nice reading.
Ana

1 Feb 2012     

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi,
I �m reading The Prisoner of Heaven  by Carlos Ru�z Zaf�n.I can  also recommend you The Shadow of the Wind by the same author.
You can have a look at his site :http://www.carlosruizzafon.co.uk/
Hugs
Ana Isabel

1 Feb 2012     

vicvieira
Portugal

I can recommend you all books by Raymond Carver, especially Cathedral (short stories), Call if you need me (short stories) and No Heroics, Please (short stories). They are nice to read because the are short stories and because they are about real people, real problems but without being just simple or simplistic.

Have a nice reading.

Victor Vieira

1 Feb 2012     

mariec
Spain

I�m reading book three of 1Q84 by Murakami. They are really worth reading .   

Happy reading!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

1 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Books I �ve enjoyed recently:

Life of Pi   Yann Martel
Silver Castle Clive James
Palace of Tears Alev Lytle Croutier
The Handmaid �s Tale  Margaret Atwood
A Fraction of the Whole Steve Toltz
Everything I Know  Peter Goldsworthy

1 Feb 2012     

1    2    3    Next >