Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Architecture     

Architecture

mjpa
Spain

Architecture

Could you please help me to translate the following technical terms into English:

The topic has to do with architecture and i have problems translating the following:

Arquitectura t�cnica
Jefe de obra
Ayudante Jefe de obra
Jefe de Cuadrilla.
Thanks a lot.

7 Feb 2012      

anaisabel001
Spain

I �ve just sent you a PM.

7 Feb 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear MJPA,

My Spanish/English dictionary says that an "Arquitecta tcnica", is "An architect who has completed a 3 year course".

In the United Kingdom, the "Architect" is a professionally qualified person, (5-year-University-course), who, (at the request of the "Client"), visualises, designs, and prepares detailed technical drawings of the building.  Subsequently, he/she supervises, oversees, checks, and authorises payment for the work, in conjunction with the "Quantity Surveyor", who has prepared a detailed Bill of Quantities, which measures, lists, and specifies every aspect of the work.

"Architectural Technicians" work under the direction of the "Architect", preparing numerous drawings at the instruction of the "Architect".  In the UK, they are NOT "Architects", but are "Technicians""Architect" is a word reserved for Professionally Qualified Architects. 

The "Contractor" or "Builder" is the firm engaged to erect the building.

The person from this firm who is in overall charge of the professional, technical, and practical side of constructing the building is the "Site Manager", who discusses with the "Architect".  He/she decides the order of work; orders materials; organises cranes, etc;  On a very large building site, there may be an "Assistant Site Manager".

The person in charge of ALL the workmen who do the work is the "Foreman" or "Site Foreman".

On a very large site there may a "Foreman Bricklayer"; a "Foreman Plasterer"; etc. who is in charge of that group of skilled workmen.

"Labourer" is a person who does unskilled work.  The person in charge of the "Labourers" is the "Ganger" or "Foreman Ganger".

There is usually a boy who makes the tea.  He is called the "Tea Boy".

I hope that this helps you.

Les

7 Feb 2012     

mjpa
Spain

Thanks a lot for your answers. They have been of great help for me. 

7 Feb 2012