Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching adult beginners    

Teaching adult beginners

Kita19
Portugal

Teaching adult beginners

First of all, I want to wish all members of this wonderful website a great and happy new year full of good and motivated students! Smile

I�m about to begin teaching English to a private student who, as far as I know, is a real beginner in English. The problem is that I�m used to teach children and, to be honest, I�m a bit "afraid" to teach an adult who can�t say anything in English! Have anyone experienced this? What kind of materials do you use?

Where should I beginn?
It would also be nice if you know some websites that could help me.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

1 Jan 2009      

colorblind
Hungary

I wish you a Happy New Year, too! :)

I can tell you, that there is not any material, what should be better for adult students. I just mean that I use for them the same stuff, what I use for children. ... and of course they like it, because it is a new world for them... :) So, be brave and have fun with them! Wink

1 Jan 2009     

daysealvesbarbosa
Brazil

I�ve been teaching adult for a long time indeed. And I use most of the stuff we have here. They enjoy learning what skip rope, hula-hoop, and all mean... But what I suggest is that you ask him how he�d like to have his classes. As a private student, he may have something specific in mind. I am an ESP teacher, that is, English for Specific Purpose, which aims at teaching the student what he urgently needs for his professional life. If that is the case, there must be focus on his needs. Carry out some "needs analysis"with him. �Have a look at the site�http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?docid=144575�for some guidance about this procedure.

Hope it helps

1 Jan 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, I think you should use a book ( I use Headways Elementary Third Edition) because the subjects interest adults. I complement them with  worksheets from this site. There are a lot for adults. I use the picture dictionnaries. I just take care that it isn�t a worksheet with teddy bears and small kids all the time because adults prefere pictures with people of their age and interests. But they like it colourful too. If you don�t want top use a book, prepare lessons following more or less the sequence of a book. Don�t improvise because adults will notice that you are not prepared. You must feel sure so that they can be sure that you are a good teacher. ( And I bet you are)
A big hug and a wonderful New Year for your new task.
Silvia

1 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

As a newly initiated "kids" teacher to the adult world of teaching, I can tell you in my first session I was shaking and I was really nervous! I talked so fast it was a wonder that I didn�t finish half an hour too early!!!!!! BUT once the first session was done with and my nerves settled I have to say I have had a great time teaching adults :-) Just always make sure you have extra stuff (just like you would for kids) because the pace can move a bit faster. With a small group or 1:1 the activities can go even quicker than with a large group.
The vocabulary pictionary stuff here is amazing way better than any book and Helen McK conversation based activities are really really good. (She also had an organisation sheet with the topics/grammar  covered for every level)
As for grammar again the contributions here are far better than any book I have ever seen! You have some awesome worksheets with fantastic explanations to choose from too.
Good luck! And enjoy! :-)

1 Jan 2009