Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Good morning all...    

Good morning all...

Greek Professor
Greece

Good morning all...

To everybody,
This is how i feel after all the partying i have done these days.. Ha ha ha ..
I hope you all had a great time.. and are getting  ready to get back to work. Here in greece we start on the 8th.. 
So, i wish everybody a great year..

Greek Professor

2 Jan 2009      

GilGomez
Spain

HELLO EVERYBODY.

JUST TO WISH EVERYBODY A GREAT YEAR 2009

XXX

2 Jan 2009     

domnitza
Romania

Good afternoon from Romania,

too, since it�s 13.05  here.
      Romanian teachers start school this very Monday, on the 5th. No snow, but freezing cold. It will be so until the 6th, when we celebrate BOBOTEAZA (sorry I can�t give you an appropriate translation of it), the Baptism of the Lord, marking the ending of the winter celebrations and the beginning of the new year.
        It is said to be a magic day, when all the rivers are blessed and the evil is chased away. The priests throw a cross in the water and young men jump to get it out. People must eat PIFTIE (meat jelly) and drink red wine.

Here are some pictures:

Have a nice day!

Corina

2 Jan 2009     

Snow- white
Macedonia

Good afternoon from Macedonia ,too and Happy New Year!!!Dear Domnitza,we have the same holiday with the same customs but it�s on 19th of January and it is called Vodici and we eat piftija too but usually arround Christmas which is on 7th of January.Have a nice day!

2 Jan 2009     

domnitza
Romania

It�s so interesting to see how much we have in common, as nations and people.

Romanian traditions count 12 magic days, from 25 December to 5 January: the most powerful time for rituals, magic and celebrations. You have the same number: 19-7, and the top is New Year�s Eve (12 has always been a magic number in many traditions all over the world). Of course, many of these rituals are lost nowadays, but it is good to know that, in fact, we are not so different. Smile

I searched for PIFTIE, and found out that it comes from the Bulgarian pihtija (Greek pihti). It�s a direct result of the way the Balkans has always influenced us, even if Romania is not geographically included in this area.

2 Jan 2009     

alex1968
Greece

In Greece we have a similar tradition...

On Jan 6th, a cross is thrown into the water by the priest after which some men jump in to retrieve it.  The person who gets the cross is supposed to be blessed for the year! 
This ceremony symbolizes the baptism of Christ in the River Jordan and is called "ta Fota".  This day is a public holiday in Greece.

At midnight (New Year�s) we cut a Vassilopita (it�s a type of round sweetbread/cake) with a coin.  The person who gets the coin is supposed to have good luck the whole year. 

Basically we all overeat these days!!!

2 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I love reading about your traditions! :-)

2 Jan 2009     

Snow- white
Macedonia

We do the same ,a pie with a coin but on 13th of January on VASILICA.Usually the oldest in the family,turns the pie three times clockwise and each of us gets a piece.The one with the coin is the happiest and we give presents to.We have another custom for Christmas .It is celebrated on 5th of Jan. when children decorate shoe boxes with a candle in it and go from house to house and sing traditional songs and people give them money.Than we light a fire on the street and people gather arround it,and we stay out long in the night.Each neighbourhood has its own fire and there is another one ,much,much bigger in the center of the city.This holiday is KOLEDEThe next morning is Christmas Eve we call it Badnik when families gather together.There is also a saying for this holiday:"Wherever you are ,whatever you do ,for Badnik you should be a home"On 14th of Jan.children go from house to house but this time they get apples,oranges & nuts.Here we just love January becouse it is a month of many holidays by which we keep our traditions and customs.

2 Jan 2009     

sirah
Argentina

Hi everybody!!I�m very happy of meeting you again!!!I wish you a wonderful 2009!I�ve been very busy during December,but here I am again ON HOLIDAYS...
It�s very interesting to read about your traditions.Here in Argentina,on the 5th Jan,children left their shoes near the Christmas tree and two bowls one full of water and the other full of grass,because that night while they are sleeping,the three magic Kings come and leave them presents,the water and the grass is to feed the King�s camels .

2 Jan 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

In Brazil we added our own colours and rhythms to this European celebration.  �Folias de Reis� or �Reisados� are not celebrated in big cities but they are still popular in the country.  Groups of people go from house to house wearing colourful clothes, singing and dancing - symbolysing the visit of the three kings. Each home offers food to all the participants of the Reisado who then continue their parade. The typical food for this day is lentils (or are lentils?).

2 Jan 2009     

dennismychina
China

Your right Cheezels.
The closest we come to any of these traditions is to ravel to (where is it again) and have a BBQ in the snow.
       Confused   LOL

2 Jan 2009