Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching word order in a sentence?    

Teaching word order in a sentence?

melocoton
United Kingdom

Teaching word order in a sentence?

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend how to teach word order? My student is Sri Lankan and her word order is just not there. She often forgets to use verbs.

Any ideas/strategies that could help her?

Thanks

8 Mar 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Melocoton!

Try these links here:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, anyway give it a try.

Good luck!

8 Mar 2012     

Jayho
Australia

These articles deal with the methodology of teaching word order.  Maybe you can get some ideas from these.  I found them very useful when I too was stuck for ideas.

Cheers

Jayho

8 Mar 2012     

douglas
United States

I find that it tends to help if I translate the sentence word-for-word into L1.  I kind of laugh and do it jokingly, but it seems help them understand the concept of the structure. English can sound pretty funny when translated word-for-word into another language--we have some strange structures.

8 Mar 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

I cut sentences into individual words and ask the students to reconstruct them; easier said than done but the students enjoy it.
Sometimes I hand out one word form a sentence to each student and they have to stand in the  order to make the sentence correct. Also great fun!

8 Mar 2012