Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teacher, I īve finished/ I īm finished    

Teacher, I īve finished/ I īm finished

aura+
Portugal

Teacher, I īve finished/ I īm finished

Are both correct? Which should students use? 

thanks

12 Mar 2012      

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

I īve finished is correct.

I īm finished is almost the same as saying I īm dead

12 Mar 2012     

sasuna
Algeria

12 Mar 2012     

sasuna
Algeria

I agree witn Nina Pizzo.

13 Mar 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American English speaker, I think both are correct. I īd actually be more likely to use "I īm finished" than "I īve finished," although both sound fine to me. I don īt know if "finished" has a connotation of exhaustion in other dialects of English; it sounds as though Nina Pizzo and sasuna both believe that it does.

13 Mar 2012     

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

My reply to aura+ wasn īt so much about the connotation of the PP finished as to the correct choice of the auxiliary verb. 

In my opinion, it īs all down to the correct use of the Present Perfect tense, which is formed with have+Past Participle

I believe that if you use to be+Past Participle you īre forming the Passive Voice, which doesn īt seem appropriate for the situation that I imagine aura+ is asking about.

I īve heard I īm finished being used colloquially, but  I īve finished seems more accurate to me.

I īm not a native speaker though... 

13 Mar 2012     

Kita19
Portugal

In my trainee year, we dealt much with this issue, mainly when the teacher asks: "Have you finished?" or "Are you finished?". We, trainees, used "Are you finished?" lots of times, but the main teacher always said it was a mistake, because, as Nina said, she also said we were asking if they were, say, "dead" and not what we really meant.

It īs funny (and a bit strange too, cause we were always repreended!!!) to know that both are really possible (no one can judge the issue better as a native speaker!).

13 Mar 2012     

Apodo
Australia

I īve finished is the best answer because it is the work that has been fiinished, not oneself.
However, I īm finished is often used colloquially, and it doesn īt have to mean you īre dead.
Are you finished with those scissors? Yes I īm finished (with them)

13 Mar 2012