Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Black and white vs Color     

Black and white vs Color

libertybelle
United States

Black and white vs Color

I just uploaded a black and white WS - because I thought most of us here don�t usually photocopy in color. But I also noticed that the colored WSs are really downloaded a lot.
How many of you (us) give the students colored copies?
Are the black and whites redundant? Is it better to make WSs in color all the time now?
Would love to hear how many still use B/W.
Thanks for your input.
Hugs
Libertybelle
ps - Happy Birthday Pinar!!Heart

3 Jan 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

We can only print out in B&W.. but I will have the colour version through my laptop on the projector, so they get the colour effect on the board but work on the B&W.

3 Jan 2009     

maayyaa
Slovenia

Heya,

I prefer coloured WS, but at school giving students colour WS is not an option as there�s too many students and no colour copy machine :-( I can use colour if I print at home and then put it on a transparency and use the projector.

However, as I also teach in the afternoon courses, where I only have max. 10 students per group, I often print coloured WS for them and they love them.

It�s easier to print in B/W from a coloured WS than creating colours for yorself.

PS Pinar, Happy Bday from me too!

3 Jan 2009     

laubeco
Spain

Hello, there! I think that the colour copies look wonderful, no doubt, but  I think it�s more practical to use B& W, not because it�s cheaper, but because sometimes the kids get too distracted with the pictures.
So please, everybody, keep on uploading B&Ws!!
Love
laubeco

3 Jan 2009     

eaglestar
Philippines

Hello!

The colored worksheets are great but we can only reproduce these for the students in black and white. I have 240 students in grade 5, so B & W is more practical. I don�t have a problem with the colored worksheets, though, because I can just easily edit them to grayscale. The colored ones are perfect for my slide presentations. Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,
Stella

3 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning to you all! I�m so glad you brought this issue up libertybelle.

I�ve seen so many users changing to black & white worksheets and I�ve  really never undestood why.

A B&W worksheet is good for those who use B&W worksheets in the classroom.
A coloured worksheet is good for everybody: those who use coloured worksheets in class and those who use B&W worksheets - they just have to print it in grey scale!

So, in my honest opinion I find it redundant to have doubled worksheets in the site. Not only do we have to go through a greater amount of worksheets everyday  , which is rather tiring and most of us don�t really have the time to do so, but it also  overloads the system .

Thank you so much!
Hugs,
mena

3 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Just to clarify when I say I print in black and white I mean the colour ones in grey scale and I have had no problems at all. 

3 Jan 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Black and white is always the best for me..... Please keep posting them..
Happy New Year from Yeti xxx

3 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Let�s face it people. Colour sells. We have had this debate before about presentation versus content and presntation gets downloaded first everytime. Now please don�t get me wrong, I am not saying just because a presentation has colour that it lacks content, not at all. But if one is wanting to get points then colour will win through every time. Personally I don�t mind colourful illustrations too much, they can print in greyscale. The only time it is a nuisance is when the background is in colour. A red or blue background will print dark grey and the text on top can be lost or not easily seen - which is why I really don�t like worksheets which are just an image. I know it can reduce the size of the contribution, but it is extremely difficult to edit.

3 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Ladybird I see what you mean about grey scale. I always remove the page and/or background patterns and colours before printing , a couple of clicks and they are gone. But the general worksheets with small icons and pics seem to work out ok.
And its super easy to remove any extra pics that might not be suitable for an adult class for example.
I think the worksheets here are great and the design of many are simply awesome. Its so easy to adapt something to suit our own purposes which is what I tend to do.
If you have access to a projector that attaches to a computer or laptop it really is great to use the original colour version while the students have the plain one.
I have been so inspired creatively since becoming a member here!

3 Jan 2009