Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Uploading power points page by page.    

Uploading power points page by page.

dennismychina
China

Uploading power points page by page.

Hi All,
I�ve noticed that more and more members are uploading power points page by page. As well as uploading scanned story book pages. Surely the former is unfair and could start a trend to generate more points. (Instead of points for one download, the creator gets points for each page downloaded.) And even if a story line is added to the pages, I think the later is illegal or at least constitutes scanned material. (See today�s uploads)

5 Jan 2009      

blizzard1
Denmark

Hi dennis
You are right in both points you make.
Uploading copyrighted material is illegal and it�s not people�s own work. This trend should be reported and stopped.
Some people think they�re wise by uploading one document at a time and gaining extra points that way. I don�t know how to prevent that but I do think that it�s an unfair practice. 

5 Jan 2009     

alex1968
Greece

11.gifGood Morning!!!

Dennis, Uploading pages individually sometimes happens because documents are too big.

I know I�ve had this problem and had to upload a single ws as 2 uploads because the clip art was too big/heavy. 

Since I�ve learnt how to downsize documents,(thanx to Helen�s ws http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=141905#thetop)  I�ve gone back to older documents, downsized the clipart and reuploaded...erasing the 2nd page and losing practically hundreds of points in the process, but lets face it...we really don�t need thousands of points!  There�s no way I�m going to download 2000 ws for example...I download according to my needs.

But I think Tisha might be right when she says that some people do it deliberately in order to gain extra points.  (BTW your new avatar is as cute as the old one Tisha!)

The other problem with this is that these ws take up so much space...e.g. instead of uploading 1 document 5 are uploaded, which really clutters the site and means we have to sieve through so many extra ws...and most of us frankly don�t have the time.

Once I tried to report scanned copies but the report didn�t seem to be sent...U know it�s scanned but you can�t quote a source!  Frustrating!

I didn�t download any ws yesterday due to the global problem...of not being able to log on.
I think I had withdrawal symptoms!!!LOL

I guess I�ll have to look through yesterday�s ws as well as today�s...don�t want to miss any diamonds!!!

Hope you all have a great day (I�m on holiday until Wed-back to school Thurs morning!)

Hugs from Greece
Alex

5 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with Dennis.
I�ve refrained from uploading PPS that are cut into 5 different pages.
I don�t see why they should be bigger than a good WS in 3-5 pages and there
are many of them here.
Victor suggests that if a WS is too large, upload it in two parts. But he doesn�t write that we should upload page by page - one by one.

L

5 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I actually made a private comment about this point to someone yesterday evening. I think that unless a contribution is over 300kb then it should not be split up. I personally hate it when there are contributions split into several pieces. I can understand sometimes 2 or 3 pages if there is a LOT OF CONTENT and it is way to heavy... but not when there is hardly anything on one page.

Also PP are allowed to be up to 500kb??? And I have seen and downloaded some awesome ones that have been 5+ pages! (all in the ONE download)

I also understand that sometimes as a new user that they might not understand HOW to get it all reduced to fit.. I know I didn�t in  my very first contributions. But overall I think it is very cheeky that some people split a worksheet or activity into many different parts hoping for more points.
You only have to look to some of our long time and much loved contributors such as french frog and mena to see just HOW much content can be fitted into an awesome worksheet or activity.

I agree with the scanning in of story books, it is completely unacceptable as it very much directly violates copyright laws.

5 Jan 2009     

ductam
Vietnam

i have seen your comments and i want to say my own opion about this. i also try to upload some my pps but they are so heavy and i couldn�t post them all and because i don�t want to post them page by page so i didn�t post them up.Cry
maybe i�ll devide them into smaller parts but i�m afarid of being thought as unfair one.

5 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Smile Good morning to you all! Thanks dennis for bringing up this issue. I totally agree with you  - some people have lost all sense of what is reasonable or acceptable concerning split up worksheets. Whenever I see it, I send a private message to the contributors with Logos� tutorial on how to reduce the size of documents and I tell them that their 4 or 5 or 6 split up worksheets  would be reduced to a single one with 4, 5, or 6 pages. They just have to follow his instructions. (http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=107849#thetop). From now on I�ll also send Helen�s.

Have a wonderful day!

Dolphins in the Atlantic Ocean  - picture taken in the Azores.

5 Jan 2009