Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Difference between TO+infinitive and FOR+ gerund    

Difference between TO+infinitive and FOR+ gerund

xikillax
Spain

Hello!
I �ve been teaching English for a while and I came across this trouble many times, and I do not know how to explain it! the question is when we use TO (in order to) + an infinitive or the FOR+ gerund form. For instance:

I �m studying English to improve my level
OR
I �m studying English for improving my level

I prefer the first one, but my students ask me why and I do not know if the second one possible. And does it happen with all verbs?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

25 Apr 2012      

Guadalupesm
Spain

I always explain to the students that "to" infinitive is for general use, that is:
"I study hard to pass the exam",

while "for"+ �-ing is for a special case, that is:

"have you got a knife for cutting the cake, please"?

however, we can say: A knife is used to cut.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Anyway, in your example, "for improving my level" is something specific, but as you know, "to" infinitive is also used as an objective, that is: my objective is to improve my level. In this case, for me, this would be the correct one.

Regards,
Guadalupesm

25 Apr 2012     

silvia.patti
Italy

I have the same doubt of your students; the most of time I use to+infinitive, but I �m sure I �m wrong...
I found these sites but I think they �re not the exact explanation you need...

Silvia

25 Apr 2012     

anaisabel001
Spain

Hope it helps:

To describe the purpose of something, use for + gerund:

What is a hair dryer for?

A hair dryer is for drying hair.

To describe the purpose of someone, use an infinitive.

What do you use a hair dryer for?

I use a hair dryer to dry my hair.

Full explanation here

Hugs,
Ana Isabel

25 Apr 2012     

Jayho
Australia

In native speech these are often used interchangeably with no real difference in meaning - I also have difficulty in explaining the difference because we often know what �sounds� right and what doesn�t.  As part of functional grammar I teach both ways of using it by showing both the gerund and infinitive form and point out where there is not possible.

I�m studying English to improve my level = correct

I�m studying English for improving my level = �does not sound right � (as a NS I would not say this)

Swan �s Practical English Usage 207.2 states

Using for to express purpose (what it is used for), especially when the thing is the subject but when the clause has a person as a subject then the infinitive is used to express purpose
e.g. An altimeter is used for measuring height above sea level / We use altimeters to measure height above sea level

Cheers

Jayho

P.S. Anaisabel - I think your link is broken 

25 Apr 2012     

xikillax
Spain

Thanks a lot for your quick answers!
Jayho you �re right! Today I looked it on Swan �s book and I found it. Perfect!
I �m not native but sometimes I do not know as well the explanation for everything. Thanks again for your help!

Irina

26 Apr 2012