Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > IN TWO MINDS.    

IN TWO MINDS.

Greek Professor
Greece

IN TWO MINDS.

Hello Everyone, I would like some help.

I have a sentence here : "I didn �t see nobody"

Now... I know what it means but I also have a second meaning.
Could you please enlighten me....

Thanks in advance
GP

11 May 2012      

Mariethe House
France

dear Effie, I don �t understand your questionConfused

11 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, Effie,
What do you mean?
Double negation is characteristic of African American Vernacular English (AAVE)�recently called African American Language (AAL) also called African American English
Negative concord, popularly called "double negation", as in I didn �t go nowhere; if the sentence is negative, all negatable forms are negated. This contrasts with Standard English, where a double negative is considered incorrect to mean anything other than a positive (although this wasn �t always so; see double negative). There is also "triple" or "multiple negation", as in the phrase I don �t know nothing about no one no more (in Standard English "I don �t know anything about anyone anymore").

Sophia

11 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Most American English speakers would understand this sentence to mean "I didn �t see anybody" or "I saw nobody," but would also believe that the speaker was uneducated or saying it that way for humorous intent.

It is certainly used that way by many African American speakers, but it is by no means limited to them. If a white person says it, most people think, "redneck" or "poor white trash" unless it �s obvious that it �s done mockingly. 

11 May 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi GP

I am a tad confused with your post 

Naturally we tend to think that it means either that somone didn�t see anyone in particular, or maybe they did but don�t want the enquirer to know (you know, we hear it in the TV police shows all the time "I saw nuthin � " when they really did see the crime).

Is that what you mean?  Is that the two meanings you are referring to?

Cheers from the land of Ozzzzz

Jayho

11 May 2012     

libertybelle
United States

That sentence is incorrect.
If anything - it �s a slang term from long ago. Sort of New York slang spoken by gangsters in the �20 �s or 30 �s or perhaps from a gangster film from that era.

11 May 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Could be worse...

11 May 2012     

Elenie
Greece

Of course such an expression is incorrect and would be used to show that someone is uneducated or being funny...just like MoodyMoody said.But what if it is meant to be sarcastic or to imply something??...If you put it in context it makes more sense.
For example, a detective is questioning some eye-witnesses, who are afraid to say what they saw. So they all said they saw nothing or nobody...The detective asks one of them that looks nervous and says: 
"What about you? You saw �nobody �, too?" 
And the eye-witness replies: "Well, I DIDN �T SEE NOBODY, but I saw...."

11 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

BTW in one series I saw when two young people were getting married, their African American friend, who happened to be the groom �s best man at the moment, said, "Don �t nobody say nothing!" when the minister asked the question whether there was somebody who knew any lawful reason why the two couldn �t get married:)
Sophia

11 May 2012     

Elenie
Greece

Of course such an expression is incorrect and would be used to show that someone is uneducated or being funny...just like MoodyMoody said.But what if it is meant to be sarcastic or to imply something??...If you put it in context it makes more sense.
For example, a detective is questioning some eye-witnesses, who are afraid to say what they saw. So they all said they saw nothing or nobody...The detective asks one of them that looks nervous and says: 
"What about you? You saw �nobody �, too?" 
And the eye-witness replies: "Well, I DIDN �T SEE NOBODY, but I saw...."

11 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Is there a reason why you pushed my post up with an absolutely identical post of your own, Elenie?
Sophia

11 May 2012     

1    2    Next >