Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Any ideas or topics to talk about in an ESL symposium in Mexico?    

Any ideas or topics to talk about in an ESL symposium in Mexico?

cristina.063
Mexico

Any ideas or topics to talk about in an ESL symposium in Mexico?

I would like very much to  talk about an ESL topic.  But my creativity got stuck.  This is my first time I want to give a lecture at an ESL symosium and would appreciate it very much if you gave me any ideas or topics to talk about in an ESL symposiuim in Monterrey.  Of course from your ideas I would develop them.

For example,  I have a group of 23 junior high students.  I teach them English 3 for 2 and a half hours twice per week.  I can see that the book they are using is extremely not atractive to them.    And I can�t change this.
This is in the afternoons.  After their going to daily school.  So they are sleepy, or just want to talk to their friends.

So what I do is look for the grammar topics we have to see per unit and then dive into the internet and look for online worksheets or just normal worksheets that are fun and attractive to them.  They work and learn better if they work in pairs. 
Also because of their age, they need limits, they are  preteens.  So  most of them do what I tell them to do.   First I explain the topic.  They do the worksheet, then, I tell them the answers, how to grade the worksheets and they tell me their grades.  But I tell them it is a grade I won�t count because I just want them to see how much they understood.  That takes a lot of stress away  and most of the time they are honest.

Of course I have behavioral problems with some of them-- one is the funny one, others make fun of how one already has a hoarse voice, and then there are some girls that are extremely shy to participate, there is a rebel, Why Miss Davila? Why this? Why that? ----  You name it. 
Once I was a kindergarten teacher for two years and then I just was too old to be so active.  These children are less demanding but also challenging in a different way.

Any Ideas?
Thank you,
CDavila

27 Sep 2008      

gaby_mn
United States

I recommend a book called "Disciplina con dignidad" it worked for me and my junior high students. i agree, they are really difficult to deal with because of their difficult age. I recommend you to have diverse activities. for example, in my experience, JH kids like to work with songs, you can find songs related to your grammar topic, also I have conversation cards, which are useful when the children look like they�re getting bored. i also work with the book "chicken soup for the teenage soul" and have conversation classes about those readings, you can have debates about topics that interest students. Good luck!

27 Sep 2008     

cristina.063
Mexico

Disciplina con Dignidad? What publishing company?  Can you give me any ideas of those conversation cards?  Where could I get that book chicken soup for the teenage soul?  here in Mexico?
Thank you Gaby!!!

27 Sep 2008     

EvaRamos
Panama

Hello Cristina,

I can share with you different topics.  I think I can also help you with your problem.  What book are you using? Can you scan one/two pages of your future lessons to give you a different approach, and I bet you won�t have behavioral problems, or at least they will diminish.

My email is [email protected]

27 Sep 2008     

mmargalef
Spain

How about multiple intelligences in the esl classroom? Another great topic sould be �computers in the esl learning teaching process. YOu could have a look here: http://esl.about.com/od/esleflteachingtechnique/ESL_EFL_Teaching_Techniques_and_Strategies.htm
maybe you�ll find interesting ideas.

27 Sep 2008