Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Beginner - Intermediate writing syllabus / lesson plans    

Beginner - Intermediate writing syllabus / lesson plans

fletsch
Canada

Beginner - Intermediate writing syllabus / lesson plans

Hello from Shanghai everyone:

I am needing some assistance from my knowledgeable friends here.  I am heading up a summer camp at my language school.  The kids are aged 7-12.  The summer camp involves many different disciplines (Visual Arts, Drama, Writing and Oral speaking and reading) I am good with the reading syllabus.   I have been searching the internet and I am finding it difficult to come up with a good syllabus and lesson plans to go along with it, especially for the writing course.  Does anyone have any suggestions or some helpful ideas.  I have little time to organize this - yikes.

Thanks in advance,

Fletsch

24 May 2012      

douglas
United States

I know this isn �t exactly what you are looking for, but this book is very well suited for that age group and has lessons in it that can be easily adapted to your summer camp.

Douglas

25 May 2012     

Dyana13
Romania

Hi Fletsch. I �m not an expert, however, whenever I have problems with missing lesson plans and writing syllabus i find it helpful to coordinate it with the reading part. this way students also have a written model and I just think about tasks that go with the subjects at hand. for example, i had a reading task about a summer vacation. I used a video of someone talking about it, for listening practice than  I taught the students how to write an informal letter and asked them to write a letter to a friend about how they spent their holiday. it doesn �t have to be a long letter, just 2 or 3 sentences. for beginners I also suggest writing about familiar places, describing family members, writing about his/her schedule at school/work, favorite film/ series, favorite singer/band/song, clothes they usually wear, their (ideal) house, likes/dislikes and so on. As long as the vocabulary is simple enough the tasks shouldn �t be a problem for most of your students. you could always give them a longer period for writing tasks so they don �t feel pressured.  

I hope what i wrote will help you.

25 May 2012     

Dyana13
Romania

Hi Fletsch. I �m not an expert, however, whenever I have problems with missing lesson plans and writing syllabus i find it helpful to coordinate it with the reading part. this way students also have a written model and I just think about tasks that go with the subjects at hand. for example, i had a reading task about a summer vacation. I used a video of someone talking about it, for listening practice than  I taught the students how to write an informal letter and asked them to write a letter to a friend about how they spent their holiday. it doesn �t have to be a long letter, just 2 or 3 sentences. for beginners I also suggest writing about familiar places, describing family members, writing about his/her schedule at school/work, favorite film/ series, favorite singer/band/song, clothes they usually wear, their (ideal) house, likes/dislikes and so on. As long as the vocabulary is simple enough the tasks shouldn �t be a problem for most of your students. you could always give them a longer period for writing tasks so they don �t feel pressured.  

I hope what i wrote will help you.

25 May 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Maybe these might help:

Teaching creative writing course (12 lessons) : http://www.creative-writing-now.com/how-to-teach-writing.html

Cheers

Jayho

25 May 2012