Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grammar Correction:    

Grammar Correction:

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Grammar Correction:

Do We use "an"before a vowel (a, e, i, o, u). OR before a vowel sound

2 Jul 2012      

yanogator
United States

"An" before a vowel sound.

an apple
an hour
an honest man

"A" before a consonant sound, even if the letter is a vowel:

a user �s manual
a useful product

Bruce

2 Jul 2012     

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Thank you, Bruce. You are always helpful.

2 Jul 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

And an before a vowel sound, even if the letter is a consonant: an hour, an honest woman.

Now words beginning with a, e, i, and o always begin with a vowel sound. H is the only consonant that is silent at the beginning of a word before a vowel. So the only letters you need to concern yourself with are the u and the h. If the u word begins with a y sound, such as Bruce �s examples or university, use a. If the h is silent at the beginning of a word, use an.

2 Jul 2012     

shifaniya
Sri Lanka

Also be careful when you see abbreviations starting with consonant letters such as
" RC church  (Roman Catholic),  LTTE terrorist.  These abbreviations though start with consonants are followed by "an"    e.g.  An RC church, An LTTE terrorsts.

Likewise we use "a" even before vowel letters in case of abbreviations such as   "A US soldier" " A UN spokesman"

3 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree with shifaniya, but I have one thing to add. Some people would write "a RC church", expecting you to read it as "a Roman Catholic church". It is good for you to be aware of this, because you might see it sometimes.

Bruce

3 Jul 2012     

t.javanshir
Australia

Hi,

We use it before a vowel sound, that �s why we say "an MP3 player."

But I have a question: why do we say "an SUV" but a sports utility vehicle??

3 Jul 2012     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

We say "an SUV" because the letter "s" is pronounced like this "es" - therefore it �s a vowel sound at the beginning.

There are more letter like that - "an F", "an H", "an R" - their "names"( if you want to call it) all start with vowel sounds.

3 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

To add to what Linda said about SUV, it �s because we say the three letters (ess-yoo-vee), rather than pronouncing SUV as if it were a word.

Bruce

3 Jul 2012