Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grammar Correction    

Grammar Correction

mahid
Saudi Arabia

Grammar Correction

Dear Colleagues, First accept my thanks for your prompt reply and wonderful academic guidance. I �ve few more question which need your wise answers. Questions are below:

Which one is correct and why?

1. Family comes or family come.   Band plays or Band play.

2. Can we use �hear � in listening question. For example Q: you will hear two people talking about their family life. Listen to them and answer the questions.

3. How do we use time am or a.m.

I shall be thankful for your kind advice.

3 Jul 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

1. Family and band are collective nouns which can have a verb in singular or in plural depending on the context which you haven �t provided. Look here to have a clear understanding http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/collectivenoun.htm
2. "You will hear two people talking..." is absolutely correct.

Sophia

3 Jul 2012     

himanijain22
India

Hi!

"family comes." is correct since family is a collective noun so it is taken as singular and so we add s/es to the root verb when it is used with a verb. A similar example is furniture. It is used in the following way-
 The furniture looks clean.

3 Jul 2012     

mahid
Saudi Arabia

Thank you both of you. Now Tell me about question 2 and three, kindly.
2. Can we use �hear � in listening question. For example Q: you will hear two people talking about their family life. Listen to them and answer the questions.

3. How do we use time am or a.m.

3 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I have already answered those questions for you. Please read the above post more carefully. Click on the title of your thread and you will see all the posts.
Sophia

3 Jul 2012     

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

you are right. Thanks a lot!

3 Jul 2012