Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grammar Correction:    

Grammar Correction:

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Grammar Correction:

Dear Colleagues,

The sentence below is taken from academic test book:

" Listen to your teacher give instructions. �

But I think it should be :

"Listen to your teacher giving instructions."

Mr.Bruce says "give" is a bare infinitive. But I need  to understand it.

I am confused and want your wonderful explanation.

Best Regards.

10 Jul 2012      

papadeli
Greece

give... the whole action
giving... only a part of it

Greetings from Greece,

10 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

I don �t agree with papadeli �s reply. The difference is between the activity with its result, and the process of the activity. It �s a rather subtle difference, so you might not understand it much better after my explanation.

"Listen to your teacher giving instructions" puts the emphasis on the process (as the continuous tenses generally do), more than the result.

"Listen to your teacher give instructions" puts the emphasis on the whole lesson and its results, rather than the process during the lesson.

He helped his mother bake the cake. This emphasizes that he was there for the whole experience, and there was a cake as a result.

He helped his mother baking the cake. This implies that he wasn �t involved in the whole event, but he did provide some help at some time during the process.

The doctor watched him walk up the stairs, and was amazed at his progress.  (result)

The doctor watched him walking up the stairs, and was able to diagnose his problem better after that.   (process)

I sure hope this helps you, nabeera. I know you are working hard to understand the finer points of English. Some things are pretty difficult to explain.

Bruce

10 Jul 2012     

Makigi
Croatia

wow Bruce, you really know how to explain �the finer points of English �!

thnx a lot!

10 Jul 2012     

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Bruce, Wow!

10 Jul 2012