Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > An expression I īm not familiar with    

An expression I īm not familiar with

yanogator
United States

An expression I īm not familiar with

Hi, gang,
It īs very rare for me to come to you with a question, but here goes. I was looking at someone īs online exercise, and saw the expression "to make a pig īs ear of something", meaning to make a total mess of something. I had never heard of the expression, so I investigated it and found that it is an American expression from the mid-20th century. It comes from the familiar expression "to make a silk purse out of a sow īs ear", but is the opposite. Is this expression familiar to you folks?

Thanks,
Bruce

24 Jul 2012      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello Bruce,

Here in the UK it īs an expression that I īve often heard and one that I īve occasionally used.

It means exactly what you say:

"I asked him to do a little job for me and now it īs a complete mess.  He īs made a pig īs ear of it."

Les

24 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Les. I īm happy to know that it is used, since it was totally unfamiliar to me.

Bruce

24 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, it īs very familiar. The īsilk purse � bit isn īt much alluded to, but īpig īs ear � remains and we all know it means a total shambles.

Edit: īshambles� - a state of complete disorder. There is a famous street in York called īThe Shambles� - itīs houses of all different sizes and shapes.

25 Jul 2012     

spinney
United Kingdom

Same here. "I made a pigs ear of it," is very common. You can also say "it went pear-shaped," or "it all went t*ts up." Wonderful expresions! I didn īt know that particular one was American originally, though. You live and you learn.Thumbs Up

25 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

īBotch up � or ībotch job � is another one. īHe īs really botched up! � or īIt īs a complete botch job. � 
Also īto go belly up. �

25 Jul 2012     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I use the expression quite a lot, and "to make a dog īs dinner of stg"

25 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Where I come from, we say īdog īs dinner � for a lady who is over-dressed, or all dolled up. We say, īShe looks like a right dog īs dinner. � Isn īt that strange? Dogs � dinners are usually plain.

25 Jul 2012     

titine69
France

Thank you all!
I īm learning a lot from your messages.
In France we say "mettre le bazar/bordel(more familiar)" = to make a mess of something.Smile

25 Jul 2012     

attoufawatef
Tunisia

thanks millions for the expressions I īm learning

27 Jul 2012