Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > UPLOADING PROPOSAL    

UPLOADING PROPOSAL

clacambr
Spain

UPLOADING PROPOSAL

Good morning everybody!

Yesterday night I finished a power point presentation about the present perfect and past simple for my students and I tried to upload it in this fantastic website to share it with you!! But, of course, the document was too big!! I compressed it in zip format, but then I saw that I couldn�t upload zip documents, just ppt or pps!!

I think that just 500 isn�t enough for power points because I think that this kind of document is heavier than for example word documents...

My proposal is: Could it be possible to upload documents in zip format?? When you extract them and save them in your PC you still can change things if you need ... I don�t know ... it�s just a proposal ...

For my new power point I�ll try to reduze the size and resolution of the pictures and try to upload it again... It�s a pity because I have prepared more material that I would like to share, but the problem is always the same: the size!!

I have a doubt: I used Tintin pictures taken from Tintin books (I scanned the pictures) in this power point presentatcion about the present perfect.... do you I can have "legal" problems for using these picture without permission?? 

Well, I�d like to know your opinion ... Thanks a lot for reading this message!!

Here in the north of Spain, in a small village up in the mountains it�s very cold (-3� C) and foggy... but ... well ... Have a nice day!! Embarrassed

14 Jan 2009      

Logos
Malaysia

Whilst I am not Victor and have no say in how the site is conducted, I would assume that the reason for not allowing .zip files is that they would be very difficult to view.  The viewer that is provided for our convenience is possibly only configured for .doc and .ppt documents. 

You say we can upload .pps, but I think you will find that this is not possible either.

With regards to the scanned pictures, you need to look at the source and if at the front of the book it has a condition such as �no part of this book may be copied, transmitted etc� then technically what you are doing is illegal.  The law surrounding this however can be a little fuzzy, but basically, if you know you are taking copyright material, then you are breaking the law.

If your presentation is so large then there are two alternatives.  Either reduce the size of the pictures - I have a tutorial that shows how this can be done - (just look for Logos). There is also a tutorial by Helen McK which should also help, or you can split the presentation and send it as two separate contributions with an explanation in the introduction about the two halves.

There has to be some upper limit to contributions, I am sure that server space whilst large is definitely not limitless, and with over 300 contributions each day, imagine how much space would be taken if folks could upload any size of document they wanted.

Here in Malaysia we too are experiencing a cold spell.  I have to actually wear a T Shirt today to keep off the chill as it is now a low 24 degrees - please pity us!!!!

14 Jan 2009     

clacambr
Spain

Good morning,

Thanks for your answer!  I understand all what you say ... it was just a proposal ...

I won�t upload my new power point presentation with the images of Tintin, because in the books it says "no part of this book may be copied, etc" and I don�t want to have any problems I�ll just eliminate the images and I�ll only upload the text. Everybody then will be able to add images if they want...

I�ve already downloaded your tutorial!! But I still have to try it with my worksheets!! Today I�ll do it!! I�m very busy after Christmas holidays!!

Well, thanks for everything and have a nice day!! Embarrassed

Today it�s cold again and foggier than yesterday!!!!!!!!

15 Jan 2009