Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Compassionate and Objective All in All it comes to Teaching Matters.    

Compassionate and Objective All in All it comes to Teaching Matters.

goodnesses
Algeria

Compassionate and Objective All in All it comes to Teaching Matters.

Hi, All
If you don�t mind my point of view, I think Harim is rising an important issue in the field of teaching.
How many of you one day or another found themselves facing such situation. A situation you were put in by your innocent student where what ever your reaction is it can lead you to misunderstanding and polemic (and this is the least we can say). Simply that kind of situation we say to be "very" embarrassing.
Sincery, I don�t envy Harim. I understand what he is enduring as a human and as a teacher.
I don�t envy the Israeli teachers too. They, who I believe teach their kids peace and love everyday that God makes, but everyday that God makes are disclaimed and refuted by the Israeli army deeds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To,
eng789
Canada
Why are you so rude and even cruel. Why don�t you understand Harim�s message as a call for help. Can�t you have a comprehensive and then objective reaction of the issue. Noone want to bring the conflict here. But nothing prevents us as teacher to debate even these kind of issues.
And since you rised it, NO if the palestinean rockets don�t cause much harm (Thanks God it be the case. I can�t even imagine how they would have reacted if it were otherwise) has nothing to do with chance.
Sending Rockets on the I sraeli territories isn�t the best way to solve the conflict and recover their right but does it really represent a reason to kill hundreds of people mostly kids and women in such a horrible way and the word is far from being enough.
For the school where the people you are treating as cowards (I don�t know who you are to do so) were supposed to hid, many NGOs and well trusted International institutions including the "UN" (Unless you don�t believe in any of them) have stated that there were absolutely no resistants there. Hope you really read the news everyday.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Conserning the picture Harim used in his WS, I agree with most of you. I, too, would never use such unsustainable images in my class. However, I think that kids especially at a certain age (middle/secondary school; I am sure it is the case for Harim) are already used to such horrifying scenes on their textbooks (not obligatory English; How many of them -History books- contain images from the WWII and civil wars atrocities and of course the "haulocaust" ), on the TV in movies and Video games and even on the street from school home.
You know! We had better not take it for granted that we know more than our kids especially
at a certain age, especially nowadays.

Finally, I strongly believe that when something is unacceptabe, immoral or unhuman, it will be the case regardless the time, the place, the people, or the religion and beliefs.
I would never understand how some people manage to deny what is happening here and recognize it elsewhere, to accept today what they rejected yesterday, to refute to some people what they reclaim for others, to humanize some religion and diabolize some other.

That I couldn�t.

Sorry if I come to hurt any one of you. This is only the expression of my feeling as HUMAN and as a TEACHER.

PS: I am not a native speaker. I am teaching in a secondary school.

14 Jan 2009      

eng789
Israel

Eight years of rockets is more than anyone would take.  The Hamas are trying to kill us.  They have been for years.  Has everyone forgotten how many suicide bombers blew up buses, retaurants and shopping malls.  Innocent people were killed.  We are fighting an army that hides behind the innocent people of Gaza.  They just kill.   It is sad that the Hamas are holding the people of Gaza hostage. 

14 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Alas, it�s not just Hamas....

15 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

goodnesses, thank toy for your post.

I hope you diod not take my comment about the 20th century the wrong. I was just trying to point out (as I have in a couple of other threads in related discussions) that, unfortunately, wanton destruction & slaughter has been & still is with us. It seems like it�s an endless cycle. No single incident is any worse than the multitude of tragedies that have gone before...

If all teachers  took to heart the belief that we can educate everyone who is involved in education - students, parents, workers - then the world would become a better place for all, irrespective of creed, culture, language, age or gender.

My wish is for peace & equity.

15 Jan 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Hello everyone, hello alien boy!
I do agree with you , that we, TEACHERS must educate and we  can and must try  our best to make our world a better place!!
  This is how I see teaching peace in my elementary school.
The worksheets are free to download to everyone who finds them useful.

This is my reply on the forum today.

May be peace in the whole WORLD!
My wish is for PEACE!!!

15 Jan 2009