Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > LA LINEA - short video clips that are perfect for speaking modules    

LA LINEA - short video clips that are perfect for speaking modules

larei
Italy

LA LINEA - short video clips that are perfect for speaking modules

Hello there,

I have to send you this because I just found a cartoon figure that I can remember so vividly from my childhood: �La Linea� or �The Line (figure)� by Osvaldo Cavandoli, who created that crumpy, passionate and lovely character in the 1970�s.

Today I watched these video clips again and I am amazed how suitable they would be for ESL class!!! The reason for that are...
a) the figure is very funny. A lot of things happen to it. Daily things really, all action verbs that we teach and review with our students over and over again.
b) the fact that the figure doesn�t talk. Well, it does actually but it�s more a mix of mumbling and Italian, nothing that can be really understood. The humour and the fun of these video clips don�t come from language but merely from the actions and the visual effects.
c) the length of around 3 mins -- It�s an amount of time that doesn�t overload primary kids. You can throw a clip in as an appetizer and then work on it.

In my eyes it is perfect for classes or units where you focus on oral English with your students. They can watch the clip and afterwards report what happened to La Linea. It�s ideal for the practice of...
a) action words e.g. fall, get angry, listen, kick, walk and so forth
b) adjectives e.g. afraid, shocked, angry, tired, ...
c) simple word & sentence patterns such as �There is/are...� or �Suddenly...� or �After/before he...�
d) tenses!!! Although the clips cry for the use of Present Continuous Tense you can, of course, adapt it to your current learning target.
Therefore, if you are teaching �Going to Future�, then you stop the clip before a new action has started and let the students guess what happens next e.g. "La Linea is going to drive the car."
If you are teaching Past Simple Tense you tell the students that what they saw happened to La Linea last week (right now he back in Italy). Thus the students tell you what did he do last week e.g. "La Linea fell into a hole."

You might wanna check some clips on YouTube to see if this sort of cartoon is your cup of tea and if you can find clips that are relevant for your teaching targets. I recommend them whole-heartedly. Thumbs Up

Anyways, here�s the link where you can get started falling in love with this weird figure:

P.S. A great way to watch and use such silent movies is to divide your class into two (or more) groups.
First, you would ask one group to turn their backs to the TV set or computer while you play the video clip for 1 minute only. Since there are dialogues or monologues that can be heard these students don�t have any clue what has happened during this one minute they have missed. After one minute they can turn around again, and the other students have to tell them what happened, in a fashion that you as their teacher set (using a certain tense or paying attention to singular and plural forms etc.).
Second, another group turn their backs to the TV set... and things continue like this until you have watched the whole clip, which is really easy here because a clip is so short.
The good thing about this watching method is that it is less passive consumation but more active learning.

At the end of the class you may show the class the whole video clip in one go. This way the students can also see those parts that they have once missed and can only imagine through the description of their classmates so far. Big smile

28 Sep 2008      

spirouphile
France

What an excellent idea!! Clap
I used to watch this cartoon as well when I was a kid and I think it is really funny. You�ve got lots of great ideas to make the most of these cartoons and I am really impressed by your creativity.
Thank you so much for sharing these tremendous 
lesson plans.Thumbs Up

28 Sep 2008     

gisel
Mexico

Wow! I love it!! Thanks for your suggestion!! I�ll apply it on Tuesday... My studens will love it, too!! Big smile

28 Sep 2008     

meuge
Argentina

Hi larei!

Thank you for bringing it back!!! I remember watching La Linea on tv... I used to love him!!! (I sound like The Rolling Stones.. :) )

You are right, it is completely suitable for the english class... Be sure I am going to try it in my classes... Thank you a lot!!!!!!!

M. Eugenia

28 Sep 2008     

Marshmallow (F)
France

THIS IS JUST GREAT!!! I used to watch it on telly and I completely loved it!! I�m sure this will work perfectly with the kids! Thanks for this brilliant idea and all your suggestions on how to use it!Clap 

Caroline

28 Sep 2008     

suneclipseALYONA
New Zealand

a really BRILLIANT idea, larei
thanks for sharing. will use it right today ;)
cheers

28 Sep 2008     

puspita
Indonesia

I LOVE IT!!! I�ve never seen La Linea before (I don�t think the series was ever aired in Indonesia, but I could be wrong).  Thank you larei.  Now I just have to find out how to save them ....Big smile

28 Sep 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, Larei, thank you for bringing my "The line" back. It�s years I didn�t remember this funny guy. My children will love him( well, and grown ups , too. ) thanks a lot for this excellent idea, as well as for the tips in class.
Hugs

28 Sep 2008     

Cassy
Brazil

Thanks for your suggestion.
Clap

28 Sep 2008     

oregon91
Argentina

Hi Larei and everybody: what a wonderful idea!!! I�ve never seen the cartoon before but I loved it and I think it will work great with children and teens as well as with adults.
I was just wondering if anybody knows how to download the videos from youtube. Is it possible?.

Hope you can help me.

Fernanda

28 Sep 2008     

Mishuna
Argentina

Larei, i have to congratulate you for your great creativity!!!
You�ve given an excellent tool that must be in every class...I�m amazed for your great idea!!!
I can see you are very excited and by reading you I got excited too!!! I think it�s very suitable for my teenagers that seems to have no tongue some days...LOL
Thanks for sharing this great tip with us!
Best Regards from Argentina...a big hug!! Hug

29 Sep 2008     

1    2    Next >