Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > RE: What is your definition of an ESL resource. (Beware: Probably a hot issue) You assumption is right.     

RE: What is your definition of an ESL resource. (Beware: Probably a hot issue) You assumption is right.

dennismychina
China

RE: What is your definition of an ESL resource. (Beware: Probably a hot issue) You assumption is right.

Hi all you wonderful people,

(From the outset let me make it clear that I do not condone mindless, copied or scanned material being uploaded)

However!!!!!!!

ESL, as was rightly said includes writing. And One of the best ways to develop fine motor skills (those required for writing) is drawing, together with cutting with scissors, tearing up paper, (that�s maybe why there so many blank WS uploaded hehe.) buttoning and unbuttoning ect ect . How do children learn reading and speaking- by first learning the alphabet. These little ones develop (learn) muscle control / coordination, fine motor skills to enable them to eventually hold a pencil correctly. Without this developmental stage it will (in many cases) result in poor, untidy handwriting and it will take longer for the child to write acceptably small letters.

So please guys if you don�t know, don�t say. Give your ideas and views, sure, that�s what this message board is all about.

In my mind it would equate to a teacher who teaches advanced adults, saying that lesson plans for young learners (Children) should not be considered as suitable teaching material.

The other thing is that, as Yeti pointed out, kindergarten or preschool teachers

who are members of this site, can download pics that are �ready to use� as apposed to looking for suitable colouring pages on the world wide web.

Some of the comments on this topic are simply outrages, thoughtless and downright insulting. Just because you can�t see the merit in something doesn�t necessarily mean that it is wrong. And another thing what is the difference between a WS without an explanation and a colouring page without one? If you taught at this level you wouldn�t have to ask for an explanation. And why bother to have this site at all, as we can, at each level, just Google the topic and get tuns of ready made material to download.

But that is only my humble point of view.

17 Jan 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

First, let me tell you that what is a resource for you might not be one for you.
An ESL resource for me is something that will enable my students progress in the development of their competencies (reading, speaking and writing). It must also respect my curriculum and age level of my students.

17 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Good points there me old chinaplate!

So much depends on the developmental aspects of your students. I have had the pleasure of helping occasionally with ESL for students with Down Syndrome, Asperger�s & other special needs. These kids require a very different approach to ESL as they don�t always have more than a rudimentary ability in their native language.

The beauty of this site is that you can take a resource & MODIFY it. I know I appreciate having further detail added to worksheets. Even if it�s just a colouring in picture, why not have an additional page of text advising when & how you used it (or include this in the comment about the upload)? This may well help new teachers. For more advanced students this detail should also be included as a matter of course.

Jusy my 2 cents worth....

17 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

@ dennismychina
I really don�t think, that the people here, who are teaching adults, are judging resources for children as non-worthy material. I would certainly never dare implying that. I don�t think anybody here did.
That wasn�t the point and the question is: What is the use, and please make the ESL-usability obvious. As is stated in the rules for this site: "A frame, a border or a single drawing is not an ESL resource. Remember that this website is not a clipart collection." and the printables should be of your own creation!!! I really think, that just a colouring picture - never mind it�s origin and it�s possibly obvious use for you - doesn�t make an ESL-resource without some explicitly stating the use. As alien boy pointed out - some teachers might actually benefit from the ideas stated there. The people who don�t need that, could just skip that. Otherwise we ran the danger of becoming just anonther clipart and picture collection.

17 Jan 2009     

dennismychina
China

Sorry Manonski, I don�t get your first point, and secondly, did you just agreed with me?

Hi Mentz, That was an analogy. I said,�in my mind it would equate to� .

and I couldn�t agree more about an exlanation. By the way I teach 14/15 year olds. senior grade ones.

17 Jan 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Yes, Alien boy!!!! "Even if it�s just a colouring in picture, why not have an additional page or text advising when and how you can use it (or include this in the comment about the upload)?" I totally agree with you!

17 Jan 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Dennis, what I meant with my first point is that when someone complains about a worksheet being pointless or worthless might not mean it is. I always say that someone�s garbage might be someone else�s treasure.  I see lots of worksheets everyday and I rarely download more than 2 or 3 per day. Does that mean the others are not good? No, they are not useful for me (not useless). 
You are right when you say that some people are rude in here and yes, I agree with you and your post.

Have a good day or evening...

17 Jan 2009     

victor
Spain

I�ve been teaching 3 year-old students for years, and sometimes I gave them pictures to colour, but always with a purpose. It used to be a picture dictation: "Colour the table blue, colour the bed yellow..."
I totally agree with Alien Boy: they should include and additional page with instructions. That could make the difference between a colouring picture (Which is not allowed in this website) and an ESL task.

17 Jan 2009     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Thanks Victor for clarification of this matter.  There doesn�t have to be writing on the actual colouring page because at this level it will be more than likely an oral exercise but there should be some instructions on how to use it.  As long as it has these instructions, other members shouldn�t be so dismissive of these types of worksheets just because they are not useful for them.

17 Jan 2009