Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help    

Help

Hakim19400
Algeria

Help

Hello everybody,
I need your help please,
I know that the tag question for this statement: � � I am a teacher, .....?" is "aren �t I?"
How about :"I am not a teacher,.......? is it  "am I?" or  "are I?"

3 Oct 2012      

EstherLee76
Peru

Americans always say "aren �t I?".  We use the more correct "am I not?" when we are emphasizing or being saracastic.

In the British Isles I �ve heard other versions.  You should get their input on this.

3 Oct 2012     

kaz76
United Kingdom

In Scotland, we say amn �t I? usually but dont think this is true of other parts of the UK.  Hopefully, some other people will say what is said in their part of the country.

3 Oct 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Hakim,

1A. "I AM a teacher, AREN �T I?"  (Please, tell everyone that I AM a teacher.)
1B. "I AM a teacher, am I?"  (You tell me that I am a teacher! I cannot believe that I actually PASSED the teaching exam, yesterday. Finally, I am a teacher!)
2A. "I am NOT a teacher, AM I?" (Please, tell everyone that I am NOT a teacher!)
2B. "I am not a teacher, AM I?"  (You tell me that I am a teacher!  I cannot believe that I actually PASSED the teaching exam, yesterday.  Finally, I am a teacher!)

Of course,
1A. "I AM a teacher, AREN �T I?"
and
2A. "I am NOT a teacher, AM I?"
are the USUAL Tag Questions in this part of the world.

Les

3 Oct 2012     

solangepmb
Brazil

Dear Les

You are FANTASTIC!Star

Thank you for being so nice in sharing...

Hug

3 Oct 2012     

Faiza Amani
Algeria

I am a teacher, aren �t I ?
I am not a teacher, am I ?

3 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

@Les,
I can �t believe that I can actually add something to one of your consistently complete explanations. I �d like to contribute

2C.  "I am not a teacher, AM I?"  (A sarcastic response, when someone tells you that you, definitely a good teacher, are not a teacher at all)

Bruce

3 Oct 2012     

Hakim19400
Algeria

Thanks for all the replies

4 Oct 2012