Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I cheer for? I´m a fan of...?    

I cheer for? I´m a fan of...?

barbarachiote
Brazil

I cheer for? I´m a fan of...?

Hi, There!

Well, I have a question that some students have been asking me lately, I need your help to solve it. Let´s imagine I´m a soccer team fan, so is it correct to say "I cheer for flamengo"? or should I say only "I´m a Flamengo fan"? and only during the matches say "Let´s cheer flamengo on".

Is it possible to say that I´m a soccer team fan, and express that I support it all the time and I always have a desire for its victory using the verb CHEER?

Thanks!

Bárbara

3 Oct 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi There!

take a look at this definition:
cheer
1 [intransitive and transitive] to shout as a way of showing happiness, praise, approval, or support of someone or something: Everybody cheered when the firemen arrived.
The audience was shouting and cheering.
The spectators cheered him wildly.
2 [transitive] to make someone feel more hopeful when they are worried: By late afternoon there came news that cheered them all.
Government policy towards higher education contains little to cheer university students.
 —cheering adjective: cheering news
cheer somebody ↔  on phrasal verb
to shout encouragement at a person or team to help them do well in a race or competition: They gathered round the swimming pool and cheered her on.

3 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I support.

My husband supports Burnley FC (poor soul).

Edit: He´s an avid fan, never misses a match. He´s a real die-hard fan. Agree with Bruce about cheer. If you are actually at the match, then you can cheer your team on. 

3 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Maybe this is only AmE, but we root for our teams, rather than cheer for them. Cheering is an activity, rather than an attitude.

Bruce

3 Oct 2012     

barbarachiote
Brazil

Thanks so much for the help and attention! You´re wonderful!

3 Oct 2012