Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TWO PHRASAL VERBS?    

CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TWO PHRASAL VERBS?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TWO PHRASAL VERBS?

There are two phrasal verbs "call back and get back".

You can ........................................... and collect your shoes tomorrow.

Hope you can help me to choose the correct one and please, tell me why.
Yolanda

14 Nov 2012      

yanogator
United States

It �s definitely "call back" ("come back" in the US). Both options mean "return", but in a different sense.
To call, in this case, means to visit a person or a business. To call back means to return for that purpose. So you are now calling at the shoe repair shop, and the employee is asking you to call back tomorrow to collect your shoes.

To get back means to return, either to the place where you are now, or to your home or office.

When I get back from my vacation, I will call you.
Wait here until I get back.
No, John isn �t here now. I don �t know when he �ll get back.

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

14 Nov 2012     

Zora
Canada

Bruce is right.

You can also use �get back to someone/something � to mean that you haven �t decided on something yet and will return with an answer later, for example: �I �ll get back to you on that. My wife isn �t sure about the color. �

14 Nov 2012     

marishkalittle
Russian Federation

But "call back" has another meaning: call again (over the phone): Have you reached Sarah? Well, I I called her, but she was busy and said she would  call me back.

14 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Marina: in Br Eng "call" also can have a meaning to make a short visit to a place
see here under #9 
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/call+back#call_1__77
BTW I am sure Bruse and Linda know better what �s the right choice for North Am Eng.
I would opt for "call back" too, but my AmEng often gets me into trouble:)
Just the other day I explained "public school" as a synonym for "state/free school" vs "private" for my 8th graders when we talked about British schools. Silly of me was not to check first as in Britain "public schools" are actually private... had to explain it all over again Confused
Sophia

14 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

@Sophia,
I �m sure marishkalittle was just saying that "call back" has an additional meaning, as Linda was saying with "get back".

Bruce

14 Nov 2012