Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

cunliffe
United Kingdom

WOD

Well, well, well, thank you Sophia, for choosing me as the winner of the WOD. This competition is new to me and I like it!

Your new word is zabernism.

23 Nov 2012      

douglas
United States

An often witty or proverb-like comment made when (or about)  experiencing pain.

"Feel the burn" = "Feel zee bern"

Examples:

"That �ll put hair on your chest."
"Oh, the humanity!"
"That �s what I get for partying with the big boys."
"Your not in Kansas any more"
"It �s just a flesh wound."

23 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think it �s a borrowing which comes from the Russian imperative "zaberi" (with the stress on the last syllable) meaning "Take away!". So that �s a type of bullying when bullies take away things.
Sophia

23 Nov 2012     

elderberrywine
Germany

z is the last letter of the alphabet
a and b are the first letters

Z-ab-ernism is a serious mental disease.

People suffering from it have an urge, a constraint, a compulsion to say and write only sentences in which every letter of the alphabet appears - but only once. From z to b and a, or from a to z.

Can you imagine how long it takes them to shape and formulate a sentence? How unbearable it is for others to communicate with them?

Zabernism is a disease that cannot be healed. People suffering from it best hook up with or marry people with a similar disease: the ryhming blight. While one partner works on his a to z sentences, the other partner works on making his sentences  rhyme. I have no idea how much communication actually takes place, but I recently read serious research stating that marriages between zabernists and ryhming blighters are reasonably happy.

When such a couple procreates, the chance of them having a baby with an equally severe disease called blankversitis is very high. Imagine a toddler saying his first sentences in blank verse, for example: 

I think it�s time I had my bottle of milk
My nap-py  needs a change, please come at once

... but excuse me ... I`m beginning to digress...

23 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hilarious entries, thank you. Maybe my choice of word wasn �t so exciting as we only had three entries. The competition is new though, so hopefully, the winner, elderberrywine will attract more entries. I must say I thought her entry was exceptionally witty and funny. 

Edit: Oops! The definition: tyrannical overbearing misplaced military authority, named after a place Zaber... (had enough???)

24 Nov 2012     

elderberrywine
Germany

Thanks for choosing me.
Maybe people didn �t take part much because it �s the weekend.
I will look for a new word later on during the day, and make the competition last until Monday morning.

24 Nov 2012