Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THIS ONE?    

CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THIS ONE?

pilarmham
Spain

CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THIS ONE?

It �s a rephrasing question in which the word after must be used:

We had dinner and then we watched the film

The correct answer is supposed to be:

We watched the film after we had had dinner

Could we say ... after we had dinner?

Most of my students gave that answer and I don �t see why it isn �t correct...

Thank you.

4 Dec 2012      

SVieira
Portugal

What about "We watched the film after having had dinner"? Would that work?
The usage of the past perfect suggested in the correct answer is probably meant to make it clear that having dinner occurred before the film was watched.

4 Dec 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

Thanks for answering, SVieira, but I guess my question is: is it incorrect to say after we had dinner

4 Dec 2012     

perma
Greece

"After we had dinner" is correct. After all it �s two actions that  happened one after the other.

There are cases when both simple past and past perfect are possible in a sentence. 
There �s a rule that explains it, the gist as I remember is that when you �re talking about a single, specific action that took place not long before the more recent one, plus when there is a time expression (here "after") which explicitly shows what happened first, you can use both the simple past and past perfect tense. 
Eg I talked to Mary after her husband had left.
I talked to Mary after her husband left.
Both fine.

Actually the simple past sounds better in your sentence as you avoid the double "had".

4 Dec 2012     

abba
Spain

I gues it is because the action of having dinner comes first and then you watch TV. Then, the first action is in the past perfect and the second action is in the past simple. Hope it helps.
:))

4 Dec 2012     

anaram
Spain

I agree with Perma "after we had dinner is perfectly OK.

4 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, perma has a good explanation. Although the "official rule" is that we need the past perfect for the action that was first, very few (if any) native speakers would say "had had" in this case.

Bruce

4 Dec 2012     

Matthew S
Japan

You can say it two ways:-

"We had dinner" is fine as a simple narrative explanation of something that happened, like going to a football match - i.e. "simple past"

But if you want to use more of a "completed" meaning, as in "we had had dinner", and then something happened, you �d probably say "we �d had dinner" and that IMHO would be the natural English way to say it....so both are right, but they have slightly different emphasis/meaning....

I dunno about all the rules, �cos I don �t teach grammer if I can help it, but there is a difference, and that �s it I think...?

5 Dec 2012