Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > translation    

translation

Urpi
Peru

translation

Hi dear colleagues I am doing a contract translation the contract is from India and there is a word thar doesn�t make any sense in the contract

"Term or expression shall, unless excluded by or REPUGNANT to the context or the meaning...."

In this context what does repugnant mean?

Thanks

8 Dec 2012      

EstherLee76
Peru

I would need to some more of the contract to see the context it was written in

8 Dec 2012     

torodogo
Morocco

hi,

i guess it means �inappropriate � �not suitable � 

8 Dec 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

"Repugnant" is stronger than merely inappropriate or unsuitable, at least in American English. It means that one is disgusted by it. It may not be quite so strong in Indian English; I don �t know. I would guess that here it means wholly incompatible. As EstherLee mentioned, a little more context would be useful.

8 Dec 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Well I think I guess the meaning with your help, but what worries me is that the Indian English might be totally different from American English then my translation may end up being totally wrong. For instance I have: " entered  into" can it be singed? :(

8 Dec 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Hereinafter referred to as �OWNER� (which term or expression shall, unless excluded by or repugnant to the context or the meaning thereof, be deemed to include its successors and permitted assings) of the ONE part.

8 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

I hope that word is "assignees" and not "assings".

Bruce

8 Dec 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Confused it is assings and i understood as beneficiaries

8 Dec 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

The problem with "repugnant" is that it is a subjective word.  If it is a legal document they need to use something that is less subjective.  Personally, I think there term is an error in the document.  I am guessing that they mean something that is beyond what is legally acceptable.  However, without seeing the context, I can �t say.

8 Dec 2012     

Urpi
Peru

please help with "hereunder"

"of the contract of work covered hereunder"

8 Dec 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

"Hereunder" is actually relatively easy: it means that the terms of the contract are going to be specified later, or under, this sentence.

8 Dec 2012     

1    2    Next >