Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > S.O.S!!! URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!     

S.O.S!!! URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

Mar0919
Mexico

S.O.S!!! URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

NATIVE SPEAKERS, I URGENTLY NEED HELP WITH A PHRASE I DEFINITELY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT MEANS! I am translating a text but cannot give this phrase a good meaning in Spanish. Can you help me please? What does:  "THE TREES ARE CLOSE-GALLERIED" mean? Does it mean that the trees are very close to each other, next to each other? 

Thanks a bunch!

Mar

13 Dec 2012      

yanogator
United States

Maybe that �s an expression used in some other countries, but I don �t think it exists in the US. Where did you get the text? Maybe some context would help.

Bruce

13 Dec 2012     

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear Mar,

hope everything well for you.

Your sentence makes me think of trees planted one close to another and that when you look at them you can imagine a gallery under their branches, like a covered path.

May this idea help you ?

Plenty of hugs and Merry Christmas to you dear.

Maryse.

13 Dec 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

Yes, Bruce, sorry! Context would surely help! This is a text I �m translating for a Language school. It uses this to "test" potential candidates to work with them on their translating skills! Am I cheating? LOL!!!

Hotels in Sinharaja Reserve

The last undisturbed area of rainforest in Sri Lanka.                   

Sinharajah is a great primeval rainforest which cloaks the peaks of several mountains in the South West of Sri Lanka. Thick mysterious woods are dominated by tall majestic Hor-Bu Hora and Kina trees, often 130 foot high and close-galleried, so it provides a shrub free forest floor beautifully dappled with sun filtering through. 

13 Dec 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, dearest Maryse!!! Merry Christmas, hugs and kisses your way!!!! Thanks for your help!

You �re right, dear Sophia! I got a little carried away with my frustration and forgot to add the context! 

Hugs!!! 

13 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

I believe Maryse is correct.

I think it refers to this definiton for gallery (but turned into an adjective):

gal�ler�y  (gl-r)
n. pl. gal�ler�ies
1. A roofed promenade, especially one extending along the wall of a building and supported by arches or columns on the outer side.
2. A long enclosed passage, such as a hallway or corridor.

13 Dec 2012     

Zora
Canada

It �s like a canopy. The trees � leaves are almost touching, creating an umbrella or shady effect.

13 Dec 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, guys! You �re wonderful! Kind of got the hang of it now! Now... my big challenge, transfer that idea to Spanish, and make it make sense! LOL!!! 

13 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

I think it �s ridiculous that they give you a word to translate that you �ll never see in your work. They should focus on realistic situations. However, they are probably wanting to check your creativity in trying to find an equivalent. If I were doing that, I would ask you to translate a sentence with "tease" in it. As far as I know, there isn �t an exact equivalent of "tease" in Spanish, so you would have to use the sentence to determine which Spanish word would be closest.

Try to translate "If you don �t stop teasing your sister, you �ll have to sit in the corner."

A cat likes to tease a mouse before it kills it.

Bruce

13 Dec 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

I �d rather translate "tease" a zillion times!!!! That �s easy Bruce! even though it �s not an EXACT equivalent, there are a lot of Spanish words that can be  used to describe tease.

"If you don �t stop teasing your sister, you�ll have to sit in the corner."

"Si no dejas de molestar a tu hermana, vas a tener que sentarte en el rinc�n."

" A un gato le gusta burlarse de un rat�n antes de matarlo."

Depending on the context, tease can take several other meanings. 

Well, that �s my H.O.

Thanks to all, you were all of great help!!! 

Hugs,

Mar

13 Dec 2012