Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > WOD continued    

WOD continued

Pelletrine
France

WOD continued

WOD continued : There is only one entry so far ... so I �ll leave it up for the week end

- and choose the best/funniest /weirdest daffination on Monday

And here is the WOD again:    humeroradioulnar

- and the link to the first post:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=39326 

Have fun ;o))

Pelletrine

15 Dec 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

humeroradioulnar
latest disease acknowledge by scientists: a person whose bones make a similar and funny radio sound 
you, guys didn �t understand?! Don �t worry me neither....
Wacko Wink

15 Dec 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

No doubt, many of you have been working your brains to the bone trying to solve this problem. 

However, Pelletrine has fooled us a little with this word, �humeroradioulnar�, because she has given us the alternative spelling.

Some of you have purchased the lexicon: �Spelling Schmelling --- an Annotation of Frequently Misunderstood Words and Phrases in the English Language�, by Professeur Fran�ois-Ren� Fin de la Semaine, of L �Universit� de London.  I was privileged to become a great personal friend of the writer, or Francoise-Reenee, as I used to call her.

She explained to me that the correct spelling makes reference to the German city of �Ulm�, (not �Uln�).  Ulm is in Germany.  The Germans like VERY long words.

Consequently, after a few sound-shifts, the more CORRECT spelling is: �ComedyOnWirelessOfUlm�.

(During the Pedants� Revolt, some French people wanted to alter �Radio� to �Poste de Transfusion Sans Fils�, but this was resisted at the barricades.)

I must warn you that, despite the title, there is very little comedy on the radio of Ulm, (apart from the Financial News).  This is also because most people watch �Mister Bean� on TV, thinking that it is a Gardening Documentary.  (Incidentally, did you know that Rowan Atkinson was once inadvertently awarded the Nobel Peas Prize?) 

Moreover, Ulm is primarily known for having the church with the tallest steeple in the world, and as the birthplace of Albert Einstein, in that order.

So far as I know, there aren�t any pointless jokes about Albert Einstein climbing this steeple.  Why is that?  Because EVERY steeple HAS a point, and I hope that I have made it!

However, Einstein did pose the question: �Why, when I tell my wife that there are a billion stars in the Universe, she believes me; but when I tell her that the newly-painted door is still wet, she always checks?�

And I have a baffling Space-Time-Relativity Question for this Modern Age, which no-one can satisfactorily answer.

�Why can a Pizza Boy get to my house quicker than a Policeman can get there?�

LES DOUGLAS

15 Dec 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

this is exactly why this game is soo great, it is wonderful to see the free association of colleagues at work. It is funny to see how misguided they often are. People see �hume � and go for �humour �, to be expected I suppose....
In fact the �hume � in humeroradioulnar is derived from �humidity �.
Humeroradioulnar defects , often affecting electronic devices such as laptops, i-phones, pads, pods - and of course, in earlier times, radios - are defects resulting from knocking over a liquid (most commonly coffee) over said device with your elbow.

humeroradioulnar ► humidity / liquid
humeroradioulnar ► error/ defect
humeroradioulnar ► originally radio, now extended to a wide range of electronic devices
humeroradioulnar ► pertaining to the ulnar nerve, the nerve which runs under our elbow

It is estimated that some 36% of all devices brought in for repairs yearly have suffered humeroradioulnar damage.

16 Dec 2012