Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How do you think teachers develop such an extensive body of professionally relevant knowledge?    

How do you think teachers develop such an extensive body of professionally relevant knowledge?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Janet, I didn �t have your problems as I trained to teach French and Italian. The subjunctive was second nature to me, as it certainly must be to you now! Experience is the great teacher, of course, so I will take this opportunity to quote a great man, �Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. � It �s slightly extreme, but makes the point about experience being of the highest importance. (Importance is a word this man uses quite a lot, it has a certain resonance for him).
Having said that, good training, particularly observing excellent teachers with the opportunity to discuss their teaching methods, has improved my teaching over the years. 

(And who is that great man I quote???)

24 Dec 2012     

jannabanna
France

Oscar Wilde!!

24 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

None other! 

24 Dec 2012     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Hi all,
Nice to hear all your lovely views.  Can�t help to summarise it all: the best teachers are those who are learners first. If you can�t learn anything, you can�t teach anything.  It�s simple as that.  And yes, we learn best from our mistakes, which we call experience, but also remember to learn from your best teachers: your students!
Keep an open mind, and allow it to be filled with goodies of all kinds.  Just remember that good or bad are attributes of our mind, and not of other people or things. 
And there is a thing called �Professional Development�.  Read at least a book a month, on any topic related to your work.
Cheers, Peter

24 Dec 2012     

< Previous   1    2